Monday, July 7, 2008

An Extra Post on Words

Do you speak the same way with friends that you would professionally?

I don't.  While I was very professional at work, I'm very casual with my friends.  I'm a big believer in having a nice image in public (Daisy, I did NOT wear flip flops when I had to go to the courthouse last week!) and dressing appropriately (gee, who would have guessed that after the curler post?). By nature, I'm a very casual person, so when kicking back with friends, I'm all about comfort.  

My minors are in English and Reading, so I do tend to be a grammar hound, but I can keep it to myself, and I can guarantee you I'm not grammatically correct 100% of the time.  In conversations with friends, I'll use correct grammar, but my word choice is very casual.  I have two friends who always speak formally, and I know it's shallow, but it annoys me.  RELAX, you know?  Both of these friends will call and say things like, "Lanny, I'd like to get together tomorrow afternoon. If you don't mind, I'd appreciate a return call so that we may make plans concerning the park.  I can be reached at 555-1234. Please call at your earliest convenience."  Me? I'm more likely to leave this message: "Hey, it's Lanny. I'm taking Linus to the park tomorrow. Call me if you want to meet us there."  One of these friends left a message for me today, and it grated on my last nerve.  NONE of my other friends speak so formally.  It just seems stiff to me.  

So, do you speak formally with your friends?


11 comments:

Anonymous said...

God, no! What's worse is I'm supposed to be a freelance writer ('supposed to' because it's been a while since I've had anything published) and I think I'd die if anyone looked at my blog or emails and thought that was how I write.

I blog & email & IM the way I talk, which is way different than how I write. Well maybe not way different. But, trust me, I really don't write professionally the way I sound here online.

Lizzy said...

Nope, not me! I'm pretty casual most of the time, unless I'm working, where I have a highly professional persona. It does take me some time to transition (from both the persona and the voice), so if I call a friend on the phone right as I'm leaving work, they often tease me about my *office voice* LOL.

Katherine Roberts Aucoin said...

Like you, I speask more casually around friends and family...maybe too casually. I do correct the girls tho...dont want them going out in public sounding like they are trying out for "Hill Billy Deluxe"! I've always loved literature and aced grammar, so in the workplace, I speak formally when required. You do pick interesting topics for discussion on your blog. I like that! :)

Bayou Belle said...

I am so casual in fact that my message would have been, "It's Bayou Belle. Call me!"

One time my MIL called my cell from a # I didn't recognize. Thinking it was a client I answered my usual way, 'This is Bayou Belle." It freaked my MIL out. Geez, I just said my name instead of "Hello".

Debbie said...

Ms. Switcheroo here to suit the occasion. I've even noticed I speak with less or more accent depending on the redneck I'm speaking to LOL! I'm casual until business and even then I am never formal!!

Great post Lanny...something to ponder :)

joanne said...

not so much on the speaking professionally or obviously writing as if I do ;) There are some people I still feel I have to put it on for but most of the time I just don't bother. My daughter has a hard time turning of the professional speak and at times I have to remind her i'm not one her employees ;)

Mama E said...

I am the LEAST articulate person in the UNIVERSE!!!! So no....I'm NEVER formal!

That's probably why teaching Kindergarten was such a good fit for me! :)

BTW...I'm reading YOUR blog now, too! :)

Daisy, Just Daisy said...

I use swear words a lot when I'm angry in real-life...but not in the office.

I am very glad you didn't wear flip flops to the courthouse!!

I'm trying to think of a nice way to tell your friends to tone-it-down...maybe a return message joking that they sounded so serious you thought it was you doctor's office or Linus' PTA asking you to volunteer for something!!

katy said...

I know you would never know from reading anything I type but I used to be a bit of a grammer hound. It took me a couple of years but now I don't pay attention to anything I type (which is obvious.) We have a dozen teachers in my family and I did some college in that area before I decided I wanted to just be a mommy. Now I type at top speed and never look back, indent or check spelling. Its liberating.

Leeann said...

Not at ALL! I mean, I could pull it out of my butt if I had to but frankly, I'm all about being me and if that doesn't sit well with someone, then so be it.

Betcha couldn't have guessed that though, right? lol

Thanks for weighing in on my computer decision. After some thought (and worrying, and freaking out) I bought a Macbook. I am now trying to adjust. YOu know what I mean, you former PC user you. I may be calling on you for help!

I'm having to re-do my favorites but I just added you in.

Leeann
niccofive.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

I am very casual too with friends. Almost too much so, but whatevah!