Sunday, July 13, 2008

Extra Nosy

We are enjoying our new neighborhood.  We've met several neighbors, and we were already friends with several before we moved here.  We do, however, have one terribly nosy neighbor. As far as we can tell, she's nice, just n-o-s-y.  

We had a feeling she was kind of snoopish when we first met her.  Two minutes into our first conversation with her she let us know that somebody had been at the house the night before between the hours of 9 and 11.  Hey, guess what! Somebody had been there. WE had been there!  Another time she let us know that a package had been on our doorstep for a while (a few hours, NOT days). She told us that she was about to come get the package off our porch because it had been there so long.  I laughed. The UPS guy doesn't ring the doorbell here.  I don't make a habit of checking my front door every 30 minutes to see if I have a package. 

One day this week, we got another package.  Three sides of the package were plain white. The fourth side of the package was purple with HUGE letters describing what the contents were.  Lucky us, the box was filled with laxatives.  Got to love the marketing department for that OTC drug.  WHY oh why couldn't they have sent it to Army's office? I'm sure by noon that day my whole neighborhood had been told we have serious bowel issues here.  

Every morning, Ms. Nosy wakes up and (I'm assuming) immediately opens her blinds.  If we walk out our door, she's out her door within 30 seconds.  The blinds remain open until (I'm assuming again) she goes to sleep.  Army has taken this as a personal challenge.  He insists on walking around in his boxers each morning and night. Our front door is glass, and we have glass sidelights, so she can easily see in.  Here's the problem though: so can the rest of the neighborhood. I'd prefer that they not all see my husband in his boxers.  On occasion, he'll even wave in her direction.  

On the flip side though, I'm pretty certain a burglar couldn't break into the front of our house without her noticing.  

Oh well, at least she's nice!
 

3 comments:

kim-d said...

Oh no, it's Mrs. Kravitz from "Bewitched." Don't let her fool you. I think there is a good chance her "niceness" could turn out to be not so much. Or maybe I'm just jaded and cynical. My MO with the Mrs. Kravitz's of the world is "friendly but NOT familiar." It's just been my experience that if ya give a person like that an inch, in a very short period of time they will be ALL UP in your business and it will eventually bite you in the butt. Just sayin'. Cause I love you :)!

Alice said...

You moved in next door to my Granny. I'm positive of it. :) The good news is: she has 1,800 pairs of shoes. Go help yourself to some. :)

Aren't nosy neighbors the worst???

Anonymous said...

We have nosy neighbors too. I love them. Turns out they are older and retired and just trying to be nice. Bring her some fruit and you will have someone who's got your back for life :)