Sunday, July 27, 2008

Extra Royal

Linus asked if she could be a queen for Halloween.  Her costume of choice changes a lot lately, so I just said, "Sure, if you want to."  She looked at me and said, "No need to think about it, I know I want to be a queen. Now, let's see. I'll need a queen's hat..." I asked her, "Do you mean a crown?"  Annoyed, she answered, "Sure, you can call it that if you want.  So, as I was saying, I'll need a queen's hat and a queen's chair."  Now I knew I bugging her just a bit, so I said, "Oh, you mean a throne?"  She took a deep breath and said, "Ok. A throne."  I was having too much fun to stop, "Linus, what if a king is higher than a queen?"  I was actually talking about the throne height, but she took it to mean rank. "Mama, this is MY idea.  I'm the queen of MY land, and in MY land, the queen...ahem, ME!...is ME, so I am the highest."  I acted surprised by her minor fit, and said, "Oh, I'm sorry. Yes, your highness."  She grinned and said, "Now that's more like it!"  Then she came over to me and whispered in my ear (as if not to let her royal subjects hear), "Mama,  you really don't have to call me 'your highness' and don't worry, I know you're still in charge."  

Now how the heck can I let others know I'm in charge???

3 comments:

Jeannie said...

That is super funny.....

Alice said...

Oh, she's good.

Anonymous said...

Maybe YOU need a crown to show 'em!