Friday, June 27, 2008

Extra Old. Or Extra Rude. You be the Judge.

I've never really felt my age. Or perhaps I've never felt the way I thought my age should feel.  I may have felt it a little when the ultrasound guy made a comment about my age (which, by the way, I'm NOT old enough for yearly ones yet!), but in general, I really don't feel much different than I did ten years ago. Sometimes I feel a little wiser, but that's more of an experience thing than anything else.

Saturday afternoon made me stop and think though.  We ate lunch out while we were running errands.  We ate at a sit-down restaurant, not fast food.  While we were eating, a girl came in wearing gym shorts and a tank top with her hair in huge rollers with clips holding each roller.  I totally understand that she may have been getting married later that afternoon, or had some other reason that she needed/wanted her hair done, but to be honest, I found it rather gross (the hair curlers, not the gym shorts and tank top).  If she wanted to run into McDonalds and get her food to go with her hair like that, fine, but we weren't in a McDonalds-like place.  

It's not that I've never used curlers; I have, but I surely never went to a sit down restaurant with them in my hair!  And like I said, it wasn't fast food, not that fast food would have made it better.

After we left, Linus commented on it. Army and I discussed it, and we both found it odd. Then we began to wonder if we've become those people...the older people who find fault with the younger generation. And then OH NO! We realized we're not the younger generation anymore.  Yikes! Maybe we're old!

So, opinions? Are we old, or would you find this a little odd/gross/unnecessary too?

13 comments:

Katherine Roberts Aucoin said...

Lanny, Thanks so much for visiting my blog. I totally agree with you about the rollers. I don't think I'd be caught outside of my house with them in my hair.

You have a great blog and you can count on me to be daily visitor.

...a little piece of home ~sigh~

Thanks,

Katherine

Daisy, Just Daisy said...

Ugh. Curlers are not meant to be worn in public. And flip flops aren't meant to be worn to the courthouse. Sigh.

eddie said...

You see, this one's easy - you know you would have been just as appalled if you would have seen the same thing 10 years ago, the only difference being that you would have probably giggled, sniggered, and thrown food at her 10 years ago, which just backs up your first point about being a little wiser now. Maybe a little less fun, but a little wiser.

Anonymous said...

First, let me ask you this: would you consider someone who throws bunches of ice cubes into the air over a group of 20 year olds & yells, "Watch out! It's hailing," to be terribly mature? Yeah, that's what I thought. So, while I am older than you, I'm thinking age doesn't count. You don't go into a sit down restaurant dressed like that. It's just weird.

katy said...

I could understand if it was a wedding or prom day, but I think I still would have utilized a drive through somewhere.
I find myself saying things like " kids there days_______" all the time. I think it's just plain age.

kim-d said...

That thing Eddie wrote about the giggling, snickering and throwing of food that YOU would have done 10 years ago? Well, that's pretty much what I'D do NOW...as well as lots of not-discreet pointing. Because if someone is gonna show up at a sit-down restaurant looking like that--even if they're cute as a button otherwise--they've gotta expect some ridicule. SHE'S the one who should be old enough to know better. Man, I didn't even realize people used curlers like that!

katy said...

Oh Lanny...go back and reread the comment you left me. You crack me up.

Leia H said...

Ummm, I won't even step out the door to get the mail with curlers in! PJ pants? Ok, I could handle that. ;)

Don't worry, we're "old" too....not by age, we're just grumpy. :)

joanne said...

Old or not-- that's just wrong on so many levels. And like Kim, I didn't know anyone wore those things anymore!

Thanks for stopping by my place. I'm glad to "meet" you...i'll be back.

jj

kim-d said...

Ya know, I was thinking...

Maybe if the girl with the curlers would have made better use of her shit patterns, she could have just covered up those curlers! VOILA! Another use for those oh-so-helpful shit patterns.

BWAHAHAHAHA...I just love you so much :)!

katy said...

I know it was just a slip of the typing finger...I do things like that all the time. DD didn't see it and if she did she would just laught.

Overflowing Brain said...

I would say it's ultra weird. I haven't seen curlers since I was about 6 and my mom put them in my hair each night. People still own them? Where do you even buy those?

And seriously, in a restaurant?

Anonymous said...

I saw an woman in curlers and slippers in THE MALL the other day. That just is NOT acceptable. Maybe no one told her!