Tuesday, June 3, 2008

An Extra Name or Two

My name is pretty obvious.  Lagniappe is pronounced lan yap, so I became Lanny.  Very creative, no?  

Y'all aren't even close for Linus or Army, though it would make sense if Linus had a blanket, and Army does have flat feet, but they have never stopped him from doing anything.

I've called my daughter Linus for years.  It comes from a twist on her real name.  She loves for me to call her Linus, but she won't allow anyone other than me (and on occasion my mom) to do it.  I've called her Linus in public by mistake, and she's perfectly ok with it.  I'm sure she won't like it at 16, but for now she does.  

Army actually comes from Army's initials.  When said together, his three initials sound like the word Army.  For some reason, he constantly gets mail to his middle initial, fist name, last name (rather than first, middle initial, last), and when you put his initials in that order, it still deals with something related to the army.  

Now I've got two questions for you: 
   How did you come up with your blogging name?
   Do you have a nickname that your S/O call(ed) you that you're willing to share?

The second question is actually to prove to Army that the nickname he's called me for the past year or so is NOT nice.  He thinks it's hilarious, and it's origin is kind of true, but still I'd rather something sweeter!  


6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I came up with Sun and Captain Sarcastic. I didn't know what to call my daughter on my blog, unborn, but not wanting to use her to-be-real name. I love the song You are My Sunshine, and sang it to her in my head a lot when I was pregnant. And I wanted something that wasn't too cutesy for when she was older (assuming I'd still be blogging). So Sun just hit me one day--she's the bright spot in my life.

Captain Sarcastic. This one took longer. I had several other names that I ran through, Mr. Man, and the like. But his Number One characteristic, ask anyone who knows him, is his biting sarcasm. He is ALWAYS rolling his eyes. So then I tried to think of something with Sarcasm. He reads comics. A lot of comics. So I thought through the different superheros and viola: Captain Sarcastic was born!

I call my daughter Sun in the real world now. I get weird looks because they think I am saying, "Son."

CS has no name for me. Whew.

Anonymous said...

PS--I know your hubby's initials!! Funny! Still curious what Linus's real name is. I love a good mystery!! :)

Jackietex said...

My name didn't take a lot of mental power. My name is Jackie and I live in Texas = jackietex. I used to be Triestetex. Trieste is the city where my mother was born and...I live in Texas. My husband never uses nicknames and I rarely use them. His name is John and I've been known to call him Johan. Even our children are usually called by their given name, occasionally Marina becomes Marina Pina and Max can be Max von good boy or max in a million.

kim-d said...

Yeah, I'm thinking you probably already figured out how I came up with kim-d. BWAHAHAHAHA!

Punky or Punky Jo was the nickname my dearly beloved S/O gave me. Started out as "Punkin" (ya know, like hillbilly for "pumpkin"--HA!), then shortened to Punky, then he added my middle name. I never minded it. What was weird was, the first time my Mom heard Bill call me "Punkin"--she got this really strange look on her face. Turns out that was what MY biological father called HER. Weird, huh?

Okay, what does Army call you?

Alice said...

Well, I just go by Alice - I'm in the same boat with Kim-d. However, I did name my blog after Alice in Wonderland. Mainly because when I would tell people my name and they would respond "Allison??" and I would always say "No, Alice. Like in Wonderland." :)

My honey calls me baby. But my brother couldn't say Alice when he was little so he called me "Yah Yah." That's what I taught my nephew (brother's son) to call me. A lot of my family calls me Yah Yah, too.

That's so funny about your family's nicknames. We were way off the mark on those!

Daisy, Just Daisy said...

I'm 99.9% sure I can guess Linus's real name but I'm not sure if that is allowed...so let me know...Army though I can't figure out for the life of me.

Daisy Duke.....well my real name starts with a D and in college everyone called me "D" and so it just sort of...came to me? I'm not sure but it just sort of happened.