Thursday, February 14, 2008

Extra Valentine Wishes

Happy Valentine's Day!

Or as Linus would say, Happy Balentine's Day! No matter what you call it, we hope you have a fabulous day!



My little Linus woke up bright and early this morning. After wishing her daddy and me a Happy Valentine's Day, she sat on the sofa and wouldn't eat breakfast. She's like me; neither of us can eat until we've been up for a while, so I wasn't too concerned. We discussed the play (Jack and the Beanstalk) we were going to see today, and she confided that she was worried the giant would come get her. I reassured her she was fine and it was just actors. A few minutes later, I began to do her hair. As I brushed, I noticed she had a half frown/half worried look. I asked her what was wrong, and she said, "I'm a little nervous." When I asked her why, my poor baby said, "Well, I'm just a little disappointed that you'd let the giant get me." With lots of hugs and kisses, I promised her once again the giant would not hurt her.



We got separated when I went to park (we dropped the kids off with the teachers, then the parents who drove went to park), but since she was sitting with one of the teachers, I thought she'd be ok. I caught her eye and blew her a kiss and we did our special hug. She mouthed that she was ok, so I let her remain with the teacher. At the giant's first appearance, one of the other parents nudged me and pointed to Linus. She had her hands over her eyes and ears. As soon as she removed them, she looked at me, and I waved. She seemed ok, though she did repeat the hands several times.



When the play ended, the characters were waiting in the hallway as we were dismissed. They did a fantastic job with the play and with interacting with the kids. They were having a ball in the hallway, and naturally Linus had lost all her fear and was hamming it up with them. She was chatting away.



When we returned to school, I helped her hand out her Valentines. I planned to stay and help with the party, but Linus had other plans. "Thank you for protecting me from the giant, Mommy. You may go home now."

-----

And a funny from just now...As I was typing, she told me I was bothering her so she was mad at me. A minute or two later, she made a comment to me in a chipper voice. I told her that I thought she was mad at me to which she responded, "Oh yeah, I forgot. Nevermind."


4 comments:

Cynthia Matzat said...

I just want you to know that I enjoy reading your blog very much. Your stories about your daughter are hysterical

I left something for you on my blog. Check it out when you get a chance.

Anonymous said...

Happy Valentine's Day! I can just picture Linus doing what my daughter did today - 15 or so years from now. Daughters really are a special blessing. (Not that my son isn't. It's just... different with girls.)

Bayou Belle said...

Ok. I figured it out. We don't live in the same house, we have the same daughter.

Mine was throwing a fit outside in her ballerina outfit and ballet shoes and it was ugly. It was about her ballet shoe not being on right. Her 1 yr. old brother and I were picking up tree debris in the yard. She was loud and obnoxious and crying. I was ignoring her. Then out of nowhere I hear this ultra sweet voice quietly say, "Here, brother, let sissy help you put that branch in the garbage." They change on a dime!

Leia H said...

That was absolutely adorable! :) I love how you reassure each other all the time :) Glad you had a Happy Heart Day (As Delphina would say)!