Friday, February 15, 2008

Extra Painful!

When I was in third grade, my music teacher told me not to sing because I'd ruin the school play. I'm not kidding. No sugar coating to it.

I really didn't sing after that. Not because I was scarred by it or anything, but because it really is true, I cannot sing. At all. It never caused too much of a problem: I'd mouth along in music class and in church. Then Linus came along, and I was scared if I sang her lullabies, I'd ruin her ear for music thus making her a bad singer. Eventually I got over it and sang to her. She loved to be sung to. Loved it. I even finally got up the nerve to sing along with her children's cd's.

Tonight I was singing along with one of her songs, and she said, "Mommy, please don't sing. You're hurting my head." I laughed and said, "Yeah, Mommy isn't a good singer. You really need to think about how that could hurt somebody's feelings though. If a friend said that to you, how would it make you feel?" With that, she said, "I'm sorry Mommy. I should be more specific. You're hurting my ears. Badly."

So it's official. My singing is extra painful!

2 comments:

kim-d said...

Ah yes, such a wonderful teaching moment. That she turned right back around on you...AGAIN! BWAHAHAHA! What 4 yo--besides Linus--say "I should have been more specific." Would you PLEASE get her tested!!! :)

For me, it was the church choir director. I knew she was right when she said it would be better if I just lip-sync'd the songs--but that doesn't stop me from belting out my own one-woman concert whenever I'm driving by myself!!!! :)

Leia H said...

Gosh, I had a teacher do that to me in 9th grade -isn't that horrible! Why would you say such a thing to a child?

That was so polite of Linus to reword her honest though! ;)