Thursday, February 7, 2008

Extra Misery...Fixed with Chocolate!

Many of you know Katie over at Overflowing Brain. If you don't, you should check her out. She's witty and cracks me up. She's shared some stories lately that have made me think that The Fiance is actually a son of my MIL. You know it's bad when your husband likes your mom better than his own. Army's mom is a good person deep down, but Lord can that woman dish out some back handed compliments. She's the queen of playing games too.

I think the time I was hurt the most was shortly after I miscarried she asked me what I did wrong to cause it. Nice, huh?

There's also the time she asked me how long we'd lived in our house. When I told her three years, she said, "Oh, I guess that's not long enough to dust the windows, huh?" They were clean, buy the way.

Then there's the time I cooked dinner, and she asked me why I didn't cook things her son liked. Funny thing is she's asked me for that recipe several times.

Or the time she asked me exactly how much money I made (cause, ya know, I was marrying her son for his money). I didn't give a direct answer, so she pushed and pushed.


One time she gave me a hug. As she backed away, she said, "Oh, you mustn't like perfume, huh?" I'm guessing I smelled distinguished that day!


Those are the tame things she's said. It's gotten so bad that Army refuses to let Linus or me be alone in a room with her. She's much worse when Army isn't around, so he just makes sure he always is. Poor guy won't even go to the bathroom if it means leaving one of us alone with her.



Back to Katie. She's had a rough week! Not exactly how I'd want to spend my vacation week! So I thought for my little contest, we could share our MIL stories, 'cause you know, misery loves company. You have between now and Monday night to share yours in the comments section. Katie has graciously agreed to judge the entries. Remember that she's a busy person (work, school, wedding, making dinner that her MIL refuses to eat, etc), so don't expect a winner to be announced at midnight. Give her some time to laugh and decide!



The winner will get two pie mixes---Mississippi Delta Fudge Pie Mix and Plantation Pie Mix. One is chocolate, the other has chocolate in it, and I just can't have them around during Lent. They are super easy to make. You don't even need a mixer! :) You can either spike them with exlax and offer them to your MIL, or you can make them correctly, sit back and savor every bite, and not offer your MIL a taste! You choose.



I know I'll enjoy these stories! Hope you do too!

5 comments:

kim-d said...

Here's the thing...everybody else's MIL pales in comparison to our Katie's! I mean, I feel silly even mentioning my teeny-tiny little incident with all Katie has had to put up with! I was ready to go and make sure that woman met with a tragic accident, on Katie's behalf. That woman was messing with our friend...and I'm a big'un and could easily TAKE HER DOWN...HA!

Okay, here's my pathetic little MIL story, which ended up making me feel bad for HER. Bill was talking to her on the phone and told her he had bought my engagement ring. She then asked him, "Do you REALLY love her?" Which raised my hackles a bit. But, then, when he answered with an emphatic "Yes, I do" she redeemed herself and also made me cut her some slack. She replied, "Good, because I don't think your father ever loved me."

Bill's parents were divorced when Bill was 15, after 35 years of marriage...

She had too much class to say stuff to me, but there were times I could feel a little...ummm...disapproval? Especially with regard to the weight issue and that I was not and am not a big "fixer-upper" with regard to clothes and make-up. On the other hand, my MIL ADORED MY MOTHER. My Mom could have been another one of her daughters, and I always had the impression she wondered how my DARLING MOTHER ended up with ME for a daughter. Hehehe.

I still miss her every day of my life, and look forward to meeting up with her again. She was a funny, nice lady who crocheted beautiful, beautiful doilies and knitted beautiful, beautiful afghans for me. I love her, and I know she loved me, too--cause she knew how much I loved her only baby boy!

Daisy, Just Daisy said...

I don't have a MIL....but my boyfriend's mother calls me by a name that isn't mine because there are too many people with my name in the family.

katy said...

My MIL was a doozy...
Story 1..we had lived in a trailer on our property until we had time to build a house. We finally got ready and we went to her house to show her the plans. Her comment to hubby was "are you sure you want to do this...remember what happened last time." We had been married 12 years then, but SH was married before (for less than 3 years) and when he built their house she divorced him and got the house...I guess she thought I had stuck around for 12 years just to get a house out of him. She also came up and told me if I didn't hang my hubby's ugly deer head in my living room she would do it...umm no she didn't.

Anonymous said...

I don't have many mil stories, but I do have one that just makes me angry even 2 years later. I had been sick for a week, so my house was turned upside. Well my daughter (age 2 at the time) ended up in th ehospital. My daughter had iv's and was throwing up everywhere continously. So my mil was nice enough to go and get me some clothes. Well while at my house she looked at MY aunt and told her "my son never had to live in a mess liek this before"!! If that wasn't enough she came back to the hospital and looked right at me and said "I hope no one calls DSS while you're here. There are closthes adn toys everywhere nad they should take your kdis". I thought about hitting her, but I was already having to pay for my poor baby's hospital stay, I couldn't afford 2.

Leia H said...

Well I'm lucky that my MIL is a sweet heart (too bad you didn't ask for my husband's MIL stories) ;)

BUT, in the beginning, our relationship took some getting used to.

We lived with my MIL for 2 years before we got married, and for 2 months after we got married, Oye. She was known for making my husband take his dress pants off before going to work so she could re-iron them, because "Leia just doesn't do it right." This was said in front of me...She also re-washed our towels because I didn't allow them to fluff in the dryer long enough.???

My favorite story though, was our first Christmas as husband and wife, which we spent with the rest of the family in Disney World. Hubby came down with a nasty case of food poisoning and hubby & I stayed at the resort, trying to get him healthy.

I sent MIL out to get Pedialite (electrolites used for dehydrated kids) in liquid and popsicle form, to help him stay hydrated. She came back with Coke and saltines because that's how she used to treat him when he had the flu as a child.

We argued forever because my way was different than her's and that was "HER baby!" She insisted that SHE take over for me in the care of HER son, meanwhile, father in law drove my teary-eyed self to the store to get the correct request, and DH eventually got better....without the Coke.