Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Extra Chocolate Anyone?

HAPPY MARDI GRAS!!!!!

With the end of Mardi Gras comes the beginning of Lent. For years I gave up all sweets, but since Linus, my niece, and I all have birthdays during Lent, I was constantly faced with cake and petit fours (they get cake and cupcakes, I'd MUCH prefer a petit four). I've since adjusted it to giving up chocolate. Trust me, it's still a sacrifice. I have to go six l-o-n-g weeks without mini Reese's peanut butter cups. Army has to deal with two massive hormonal fits without chocolate to calm them. No hot chocolate. No M&Ms. No. Chocolate. Period. Ouch!

We tried to explain Lent to Linus. After a brief explanation at a four year old level, I asked her if she wanted to give up something. I suggested juice boxes or her goodnight light. After looking at me like I was absolutely nuts, she said, "No thanks. God already has everything. He doesn't need my juice boxes or my goodnight light." I tried to explain the whole concept again, but she didn't want anything to do with it. She's got another few years until she really has to participate, so I'm not too worried.

I also try to make a positive change in my life during Lent too. I'm trying to figure out what I'll do this year still. If you give up something or make a positive change for Lent, care to share what you're giving up/doing?

6 comments:

kim-d said...

Giving up swearing. Positive change; twofold. 1) Get going on the healthier eating, and 2) Be nice to people.

When you look at that list, I sound like a real charmer to start with, don't I? HA! I agree with Linus on the juice boxes and goodnight light...really, what good would it do? Hehehe...of course, pretty much everything she says makes perfect sense to me :)!

katy said...

So glad I am not required to give up anything for lent. I need to give up food but since that probably won't happen anyway....

Overflowing Brain said...

I'm giving up all sweets. It's also known as the wedding diet.

Positive changes...I'm not sure. Give me some time to think on it. MIL has me in a pretty negative place right now.

Anonymous said...

I'd say I'm giving up getting distracted in Mass but we all know how far I'd get with that. Good thing you don't go to my Church because I know I'd be paying more attention to anything Linus says than to the priest.

Bayou Belle said...

I decided last night I need to "CHANGE MY ATTITUDE!" I am so busy all the time that I seem to be in a bad mood and complain often. Not good for the kids and a VERY bad example for the girl (5 this month!). So today, I tried it and what a good day I have had! I remember hearing so many times how it affects all areas of your life. The Secret talks about it. The book "FISH" (about Seattle's Pike Place FIsh Market)says that is their no 1 commandment for working at their company - change your attitude.

Leia H said...

I'm just here to wish you best of luck with the no chocolate....I wouldn't last 2 days!