Wednesday, August 1, 2007

An Extra Yummy Dose of Cake

Today is my husband's birthday. Linus wanted to make a cake for her daddy. Together we mixed, poured, baked, and iced the cake. As soon as Army got home from work, Linus started in with "Do you want some cake, Daddy? I made you a cake. It's chocolate. It's yummy. Want some? We could have a little bite now. Ok?" Army told her over and over that we'd have to have dinner first. She finally relented and ate (and no, she didn't have a grilled cheese!). I made one of Army's favorites: Monterrey Chicken and baked beans. Everybody enjoyed it, and as the last bite was taken, Linus started in again on the cake. "Daddy, ready for your cake? I made a yummy chocolate cake for you. It has chocolate mousse on top. Want some? You ready?" Linus isn't a huge sweets eater, so this was kind of shocking. As Army took his first bite, Linus was glued to his expression. As he smiled and said, "Thanks, Linus, this is so yummy!" she smiled and said, "I'm glad you like it since I made it. If you didn't like it, it would have to be the part Mommy did." Gee thanks!

Monterrey Chicken
4-6 chicken breasts
4-6 T bbq sauce
4-6 slices bacon (I use Hormel Bacon pieces when I'm feeling lazy)
grated cheddar
grated Monterrey jack

Preheat oven to 350. Place chicken breasts in greased glass baking dish. Top each with 1T bbq sauce and one piece bacon. Bake for 30-35 minutes. Sprinkle cheeses on top and bake another 10 minutes. SO easy!

Baked Beans
1 qt beans (I pick them up at a local restaurant, but I've used canned before)
2 T molasses
Hormel Bacon Pieces

Pour beans into baking dish (I use a glass loaf pan) and add molasses. Stir. Top with bacon pieces. Heat through in oven (10-15 minutes at 350). This is also yummy with onions added, but Army hates onions.

Happy Birthday Army!

1 comment:

kim-d said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, LINUS'S DAD!

And thanks for sharing the recipes; YUMMY all around!