Thursday, August 23, 2007

A Little Extra Love

My grandmother passed away 10 years ago today. I usually don't dwell on dates of death, but knowing the exact date of death for my grandparents is rather easy: three of the four passed away on the 23rd of the month.

My Memere was an incredible lady. I miss her dearly, as do her other grandchildren. I grew up in a very close knit family. We had dinner probably three to four nights a week at my grandparents' house. The table was full of cousins, aunts, and uncles. She knew our favorite meals, and she rotated them.

I wish Linus had a chance to meet her. Linus would have loved her soft yet spunky demeanor. Memere wasn't afraid to play, even though she had on heels and hose. She lived life, she didn't just go through the motions.

Man, ten years seem like such a long time, yet I can still feel her hugs and smell her like it I saw her yesterday. I can easily picture her soft creamy skin. If only I could really put my arms around her. I can honestly say though, I knew (so did my sister and cousins) what a good person I had in my life. I'm so thankful I was able to see that while she was here, rather than only after she was gone.

------

Is anybody else having trouble leaving comments? I've tried to comment on several blogs for the past day or two, but I keep getting a security message that never ends. I click out of it, then it pops back up. I end up having to get off the internet completely to stop it. Of course, now that I've asked this, I'm realizing that if you're having that trouble too, you won't be able to leave a comment to tell me. Ugh! Oddly enough, I can comment on my own blog.

2 comments:

kim-d said...

I know how much you miss Memere, because I miss my Gram like that, too. It has only been three years since my Gram died, but I miss her everyday. Did you read The Pioneer Woman today? I think that there has probably been a whole lot of thinking aobut grandparents going on today! It's also hard for me to believe that it will be 10 years since my Mom died. That's a whole other thing! What is nice is that Linus will at least get to know OF Memere, through the stories you will share with her.

About the comments...no problem on my end, but that does explain why I have had to miss you lately! :)

Leeann said...

No problems here!
Leeann