Monday, August 20, 2007

A Little Extra Baby Talk

Poor little Linus is a bit heartbroken. She wants a little brother or sister (actually she wants a little brother AND sister, but we'll have to take it one step at a time!) Many of my friends (whose children, by default, are friends with Linus) are having babies. Many moms of her preschool friends are having babies or just had little ones also. To Linus, everybody has a sibling but her. She lets me know this regularly.

The other day, she was talking about her "greatest" friend, Aiden, getting a little brother soon. She begged for one too, and I let her know it just didn't look likely soon. Aiden and his family visited recently, but due to some travel issues on our part, their visit wasn't as long as we would have liked. When they left, we all said we'd see each other soon. To Linus, soon means tomorrow, maybe the next day, so she's been asking for him to visit again daily. She had question after question:

Linus: Mommy, can Aiden come over today?

Me: No, not today.

Linus: Can he come over soon?

Me: Well, maybe we'll go down there in October. Do you know when October is?

Linus: Yes, I do. October means toooo loooonnngggg away.

Me: Well sweetie, we've got a lot going on for the next few weeks, so I don't think we can go before then.

Linus: I have a great idea Mommy! Why doesn't Aiden come here!

Me: Well, Linus, I'm not sure his mommy is feeling up to a trip right now.

Linus: Ok, well when she does, can they come here?

Me: Sure thing!

Linus: Can they spend the night?

Me: Absolutely!

Linus: Can he sleep on my trundle?

Me: Sure, why not.

Linus: Yippee! Aiden's coming. Aiden's coming.

I reminded her that he wasn't coming right away, and she was fine with it as long as he does come at some point.

This conversation would come back to bite me in the butt this weekend.

We ran into one of her preschool teachers. Linus gave her a great big hug, then said, "Guess what? Aiden is coming to my house and he's going to sleep with me. I'll be on top, he'll be on bottom."

As I'm trying to explain, her teacher said, "Oh, do you have bunk beds?

"No! I just have a pretty white bed for one person. Mommy and daddy have a bed for two people, but it's not a bunk bed either."

Yeah, I quickly let her teacher know that she has a trundle bed under her bed that we pull out when family or out of town friends visit. I also explained to Linus that you can't really say that to other people.

Naturally this is Linus, and she is going to find a way to twist what I've said.

We went to a party this weekend for one of her classmates. She turns to one of her friends who was there with her mother and said, "Hey, guess what? Aiden is coming to spend the night at my house. I'll sleep on top, he'll sleep on the bottom. Mommy said I'm not supposed to tell people he's sleeping with me though." Thankfully her friend has a very similar personality, so her mother didn't even bat an eyelash. She did laugh, but she wasn't shocked or offended in the slightest.

It's a good thing there wasn't an open bar at the party. I was in need!

And just to balance out her badness with some goodness, here's something she said last December when she was on the baby brother or sister kick. Keep in mind it was Christmastime and she definitely had babies on her mind often!

Her version of "now bring us some figgy pudding":
"Now bring us some baby pudding"

She also told me that we would be getting a baby boy. I told her I didn't think we'd be getting a baby boy anytime soon and reminded her that in our family babies grow in our hearts, but in somebody else's tummy. Still she insisted. Finally I said, "No Linus. That's not how it works. We're not having a baby." My precious angel looked at me and said, "Sure Mommy. Yes we are. An angel will come put a baby boy in your tummy just like in Mary's." So sweet!

1 comment:

Leeann said...

Bless her little heart. She is such a sweet and amazing little girl!
Leeann
niccofive.blogspot.com