Wednesday, August 8, 2007

An Extra Birthday Wish

Today is my father's birthday. My dad suffered a horrific brain injury in the spring. He spent several days in the ICU, many of which he was on life support. They did not expect him to make it, but my dad is a fighter and pulled through. After the ICU, he spent several days on a cardiac unit, and then moved on to a rehab facility where he spent a few more weeks. Now he is participating in out-patient therapy several days a week. It has been my job to keep friends and family updated on my father's condition. The only person in my life who knows about this blog suggested I post an update that I sent out recently in honor of my father's birthday. Here it is:


Not really a medical update, but...

Those of you that know Dad well know that his love for his dog, Copper, runs deep. It runs so deep, in fact, that while he was in the ICU on life support and Mom got a call from their vet telling her that Copper was critically ill and very well may not make it, Mom simply told him, "Do whatever it takes. She has to make it. C's is in the ICU on life support. I cannot bear having to tell him Copper is gone." With that comment, their vet did what it took medically, threw in lots of love and prayers, and saved Copper. His whole staff sent Dad a Get Well card. They know how deep his love is! Mom, Sis, and me: good; Linus, Big A, and KayKay: great; Copper: glorious, absolutely glorious!

My dad and Copper share a mutual love. They are a team. Man and dog...dog that has tea or coffee in the morning to wake up...dog that eats gazillion dollar dog food because she has such severe allergies...dog that has not one, not two, but THREE beds so she can always be comfortable. Four if you include a spot on the sofa next to my dad. You get my point, a team, man and dog. The only thing she may love more than my father is food.

Recently her love has grown a little deeper. Part of Dad's brain injury makes him suffer from some short term memory loss. Lucky for Copper, he forgets that he's already fed her for the day. Multiple times throughout the day he forgets this. She's yet to refuse a meal though. Naturally, she doesn't want to offend her favorite person and not eat what he puts in front of her. Bowl after bowl, she obliges! When she came home from her hospital stay, she was skin and bones, soon we'll need a forklift to get her in the car. :) Man is she going to get depressed as Dad improves!

Happy Birthday Dad!!!!!

1 comment:

kim-d said...

Awwww...that is so touching!

HAPPY, HAPPY BIRTHDAY, LANNY'S DAD!

AND YOU GO, COPPER!!! FOOD = GOOD; MORE FOOD = BETTER!