Thursday, August 30, 2007

Extra Scary!

Check your feet. Are they cold? Hell has nearly frozen over!

How do I know? Well, two extremely unlikely events have taken place recently leading me to believe it's getting mighty cold down there.

The first one isn't that huge, but it is extremely unlikely. For years and years I have been a t-shirt kind of girl at bedtime. I have lots of nightshirts that are long enough to cover everything that needs to be covered and then some. I DO NOT sway from this. Ever. Army even buys me soft nightshirts for gifts sometimes, and I love getting them! I have enough to stuff and entire drawer full. And I do mean stuff! I do keep shorts/sweats/pj bottoms by the bed in case Linus needs me in the middle of the night, and I do put them on first thing in the morning if I don't hop straight in the shower, but I do not wear them in bed. Ever. I cannot stand the feeling of something on my legs at night. I can't even stand a long nightgown because it bothers me when I roll over. You get the point--t-shirts only.

Last night we had the most wicked thunder. It was rolling thunder that would go on and on and on. Then as soon as one would finally end another would start. Then the rain started. I'm not sure I've ever heard rain that heavy. As I got ready for bed, I glanced at our weather radio (tornadoes are common here, so we keep one by the bed), but there were no warnings. Our subdivision is too new for cable--something about they won't run lines until the entire subdivision is complete--so we have satellite. If there are clouds in the sky, there is no satellite on the tv. Unless we're in the midst of a tropical storm, then we have it. Go figure. I wasn't that worried, until Army said something to me that got me a little concerned. Then I laughed and asked him if it could really happen, and he let me know that he wasn't kidding. Now I was starting to worry. Then we started getting the kind of thunder that shakes the chandelier. Army asked me if I heard a train in the background. He was kidding, but it hit my last nerve. I started to imagine what would happen if a tornado hit, or if our house was struck by lightening. Would you believe it freaked me out enough that I got up and put on a full pair of pajamas? As in top AND bottom. I didn't just put the bottoms by my bed, I put them ON. I had a horrible time sleeping last night, not because of the weather, but because of the bottoms. I did make it the whole night with them though. This morning, Army asked me if hell had frozen over. Yep, it was getting there.

This is far more compelling evidence though. The night I had my migraine, I rode with Army and Linus to pick up some dinner. Sometimes riding in the car with the air conditioner blowing directly in my face helps. Apparently it helps my head, but not my sanity. We're big Johnette Downing fans, so we usually have one of her cd's playing while Linus is in the car. Army left the radio on though while he ran into the restaurant. A song came on, and I changed it, but Linus begged to listed to what she called the tapping song. I changed a few more channels, but I couldn't find anything she liked. My head hurt too badly to even comprehend which channel was the kids channel, and it apparently hurt too badly to just let one of her cd's play. I ended up putting it back on the tapping song on the original station. I canNOT believe I let my child listen to Michael Jackson's Billie Jean!!!

Wait, it gets worse.

When Army got in the car, a new song was on. I told him what I had done, and he was shocked. He even mentioned that my migraine must have been really bad for me to let my four year old listen to Michael Jackson. I closed my eyes and tried to ignore reality as best I could. Then all of a sudden it hit me. MADONNA's Material Girl was on the radio, and he didn't change it.

What kind of parents are we? Wait. Don't answer that!

2 comments:

kim-d said...

Excellent parents, with questionable taste in music! HAHA! Hope you're completely over your migraine--how awful. And also that the weather cooperates so you can get back to jammie-status-quo!

katy said...

Hey we grew up on Michael and Madonna and look how we turned out...wait scratch that and get a new disney cd of some kind.
I too hate anything on my legs or feet at night. I can not stand socks no matter how cold it is and most of the time I kick the blanket off of my feet.
My niece came to stay with me this summer and she was singing something I couldn't understand. When I finally got her to sing it slower she was singing "lets talk about sex baby, lets talk about you and me." I hope she learned that at home before she got here.
Enjoy my rain...my flowers and watermelon plants are jealous.