Sunday, April 13, 2008

Extra Help Please

I need help! I've, uh, whined enough that Army is breaking down and getting me a new computer before we sell our house. Hmm, that doesn't sound nice, does it? Let's change that to: Army has come to his senses are realized how much I truly need a computer, so he's agreed that I can have one before we sell our house. Anybody want the real story? He's sick and tired of sharing his computer with me!!! Seriously, that's the truth!

So, here's where I need your help...can you buy me one? Kidding!

Here's where I really need your help...I'm having trouble deciding which one. A few months ago, many of y'all suggested the MacBook Air. I went to play with it, and I fell in love with it. It's small, it weighs next to nothing, and it's even cute! BUT it doesn't have a disk drive, so it's extra money for an external one, there's only one usb port, so it's extra money for that too. It comes with very little software, so again, more money. Plus, it's slower than a regular MacBook. The sales guy said if it's just a satellite computer for us, then it's great, but if I'd use it for more than email and general internet surfing, then he'd go with a regular MacBook.

Ok, fine I can handle that...except the MB Air is small, and cute, and, well, perfect. But again, the regular MB makes more sense, except it weighs more. No huge deal, I can handle a few more pounds, but it's still a 13" screen, and I'd prefer a larger screen if I'm not going with the MBAir. The only way I can get larger is going Pro, which I really don't need.

So let's break it down:

AIR--small, cute, light, but requires a lot of add-ons

Regular Mac Laptop--better buy for the money, but still a small screen

Pro--bigger screen, but more money and I really don't need everything it has

Dell (or other)--I can get pretty much anything I want, but I really want to go Mac for this one

PLEASE help me. I'm putting a poll at the top of the blog, so you can vote without having to leave a comment, but comments are definitely appreciated!!!

Many thanks, y'all!

3 comments:

Daisy, Just Daisy said...

Avoid the Dell...

A 13" screen really isn't all that bad...but if you really want a larger screen but not quite the pro, but something better than the Dell..have you thought about Sony? I have a Vaio and I really adore it. I've had no problems, its running on almost 2.5 years, and I have a 15" screen that is gorgeous.

Overflowing Brain said...

Agree with daisy on the dell. Don't do it.

Here's the deal on the MacBook air. If you ever have a battery problem, you have to send the computer in. You can't just order a new one, you actually have to send the computer in. I'm working on a regular MacBook and my only complaint is that the speakers aren't fantastic, but supposedly the MacBook Air ones are worse.

I love my MacBook, but if I had money to throw around, I would give some thought to the air. Ask a salesman what he'd get. They're pretty good at Apple at always picking the most expensive item.

Good luck, go macbook!

kim-d said...

Well, I threw my opinion into the mix by checking MacBook Air, with only giving thought to the fact that it's small, it's cute, it's cool, and it's BRAND NEW. Who cares if you have to add $10,000 worth of add-ons and spend money in the future on batteries and such, IT'S COOL. HAHAHAHA!

Seriously, all I know for sure is, everybody I know who has gotten a Dell in the past couple of years has been very disappointed, and have had lots of problems. They used to be good but, apparently, something happened to change that!