Saturday, November 1, 2008

Extra Effort

For the Catholics out there:

Linus got in trouble at school last week for not genuflecting before she entered the pew. I'll admit, I was a little surprised but if she gets in trouble at school, she has consequences at home, so I knew I had to address it. She ended up having something taken away, and we practiced genuflecting. A lot. On Fridays the students (and family members who are able) attend Mass each week. Linus was reminded to genuflect on the way to school. I'm happy to report she did it Friday before entering the pew.

She also did it before entering the booth at a restaurant yesterday. :D

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ah! So that's what your question was about. Did you see my reply? I still haven't had a chance to ask Steve the official answer yet. Also I'm not sure, had I been the teacher, that she'd be in trouble. Not unless she outright refused to genuflect, which I can't imagine her doing. Sounds like she has a crank of a teacher. Hey, in 2 more years, my daughter will be ready to teach. Should I send her down there?

joanne said...

I saw your question over at Monkling's and it started a conversation over here. I think it is required as long as you are physically able. I think she can pass on the restaurant though...;)

Jeannie said...

Hmmm..I think I understand, but I wasn't raised with religion. Do you mean she got in trouble because she just sat down, not stopped and prayed or whatever....( I could look up genuflect but am lazy right now)

I suppose if she is at a catholic school they can do that,but if it isn't your religion, they can't tell her what to think about!

Anonymous said...

Finally remembered to ask Stephen. He said, yes, it's required. I then told him Linus got in trouble for not genuflecting & he said that was ridiculous. Our opinion - the teacher should have corrected her, should have explained why we genuflect but to get in trouble over it... not unless it's deliberately & defiantly done. Which I sort of doubt was the case.

I do like how my teacher explained it way back. For me to remember after all these years must mean it made an impression on me, eh? I'm pretty sure she even used grandparents as an example. You wouldn't walk into your grandparents house & walk right past them without saying hello. Church is God's house. You genuflect as a way of respect, a way of greeting Him.

Not sure that's completely correct on a theological level but it certainly makes in understandable to a 5 year old.

Alice said...

How funny!