Thursday, October 30, 2008

Extra Wrong, Wrong, Wrong

Let me start by just being blunt. I suck at song lyrics. Royally. My husband and friends love how wrong I get them. And it's not just songs...I got a nursery rhyme wrong too. You know Old King Cole? Well, he wasn't a merry old soul, he was a very old soul until I was in COLLEGE!

When I was little, my cousin got me to call a radio station and request a song. A particular song that he'd heard me singing incorrectly. Because I thought he was the coolest guy on the planet, I did what he wanted. I called the station and asked them to play "I Never Want to Bite the Dust." They dj thought it was so funny, that he asked me to say it again and again and then played the recording of me on the air. And then they played Queen's Another One Bites the Dust.

I should have learned then, but I obviously do not learn from my mistakes. I've misunderstood tons throughout the years, and I'm still doing it. I was convinced Alan Jackson sang "...we found drugs, vowed we'd never give them up" instead of "...we found trust..."

And of course I've misunderstood all the typical ones that most people have trouble with too. We all know Manfred Mann sang "wrapped up like a douche..." right?

So, have you ever misunderstood any lyrics?

7 comments:

brainella said...

I do it constantly.

My favorite though is one I heard on the radio. A DJ's husband would sing "climb every woman" to Whitney Houstons's "I'm every woman". Hilarious.

Alice said...

I have no idea what the lyrics are to "Pour Some Sugar On Me" - but I sing the song constantly at the top of my lungs. I mainly string together words that make no sense....sample of what I sing:

You got the peaches, I got the cream
Sweet potatoes are not green!

Swear to God.

Lori said...

lol, at you AND the comments!!! hee hee....

I do it too! Black Crowes - Remedy

Can I have some LEMONADE?
LEMONADE for me please.
Cause if I had some LEMONADE
I'd take enough to please me.

Lori said...

and is it bad that I had to google the Manfred Mann lyrics? yours sounded good to me, lol

Daisy, Just Daisy said...

My brother once sang (from Top Gun) "Baby Baby, I'd get down on my NOSE for you."

The word was knees.

Oh man I laughed pretty hard.

Anonymous said...

Let's not ask if I misunderstand lyrics. Let's ask if I ever get them right. The answer would be 'rarely.'

katy said...

When I was young (about 5 or 6) a friend of mine and I would try to out sing each other in the choir on Sunday morning... our favorite song to sing was 'He's 73', otherwise known as 'He set me free'. It's a good thing we go to a small country church, they thought it was cute.