Saturday, October 4, 2008

An Extra Spanish Lesson

It's no secret that I was not fond of Linus's Spanish teacher at her old school.  Linus came home the second week of school with this "cutesy" little thing that the was supposed to be a "good job" dance. It was anything but cute.  She had this saying that was done in a sing-song voice, hand movements that went along with it, and it ended with her kissing her pointer finger, turing her bum to us, and sticking her finger on it while making the sizzling sound.  I'm totally aware that most kids do something similar at some point in their lives, but I'm not too fond of a teacher teaching it to my FIVE year old.  Call me old fashioned, but it rubbed me wrong.  

Linus, however, does not know that I'm not a fan of this teacher, so I'm fairly certain that she isn't just trying to get away with something by blaming somebody else for what she did the other night...

After counting to twenty in Spanish, she proudly began clapping and announced, "Crap!"  Army was stunned, and figuring he heard her incorrectly, asked her what she said.  "Crap!" she repeated while clapping again.  Army told her that was not an acceptable word in our house, and she got this puzzled look.  "Why not Daddy? It's Spanish for clap. Ms.____ said so the other day."  

I'm not as up on my Spanish as I should be. Does anyone know what word she could have been trying to use?  Anything close?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

No parla espanol but if I were in your place, I'd have a finger I'd want to wave to that moron of a teacher.

Jeannie said...

Maybe the teacher slipped and tried to cover it?

Yeah, I would be irritated if someone taught my 5 year olds anything that involved shaking their bums like that.....we are still a Noggin/PBS kids house.....I want to keep that innocence for as long as possible!

Debbie said...

Ouch. This bites and I'd be on my way to school, my dear. 5 was one of my favorite ages when David was young. Don't let some loon spoil it! BTW I didn't try to learn Spanish until the 9th grade. This too irritates me for other reasons.

Alice said...

Oh my! I don't even know what to tell you on this one. The only Spanish I retained was "No siento mis dientes" - (I can't feel my teeth) while on a trip to Spain my junior year of high school. It had something to do with sangria. Perhaps that is why my mother didn't like MY Spanish teacher either. :)

Bayou Belle said...

I think it is just her spanish accent when she says Clap! Sounds like crap.