Sunday, October 5, 2008

An Extra PSA

My grandmother would have celebrated her 100th birthday yesterday. Would have. An ugly beast called cancer robbed us of some precious time with her.

My grandmother was the picture of health. She exercised daily, was a health conscious eater, and handled stress well. She was everything we're told cancer is not. Yet it still took her life.

I'm not sure if you've ever watched a person you love in the end stages of a dreadful disease, but it's pretty awful. I'm a huge fan of hospice; they truly made a difficult time easier, but it's still had to watch a loved one die.

Survival rates in America have increased dramatically over the years. Most cancers have high survival rates if caught early. If you *think* you might have any symptom, please get it checked out.

And now for something I rarely discuss: If you aren't happy with your doctor's diagnosis or lack thereof, PUSH for what you need. TRUST your gut! Had I listened to my doctor, I 100% guarantee I would not be here today. That's not a gut feeling, it's a fact.

5 comments:

Alice said...

I watched my best friend die of cancer. She was 30 and left behind a husband and three young children. It was the most horrible thing I have ever witnessed. We will be walking in her memory this weekend. I am so sorry you watched your grandmother suffer with this dreadful disease. I hope today you have many, many happy memories to ease your loss.

Unknown said...

lagniappe...this is my first visit to your blog, I found you via alice. Your writing style is beautiful and the name of your blog is creative!
I look forward to reading you again!


~AirmanMom returning to her blog...

Alice said...

And I didn't even "catch" that you too are a survivor. I am so glad you did what you needed to do to be healthy. We are the ones responsible for our own health - good for you for taking care of yourself. People like you inspire me every day. I am so glad you are still here and I have the privilidge of getting to know you through your blog.

katy said...

I too lost a very otherwise healthy, vibrant grandmother (and grandfather)to cancer. My husband lost both of his parents to cancer too. I had a cousin that died at 38 after fighting breast cancer for 10 years....I wish we could unlock the secrets and stop this horrible disease.

Jeannie said...

I agree, cancer sucks.My mom passed 3 months after being diagnosed with lung cancer (her diagnosis came the day after my wedding.....)

Though I don't know the details, I am so glad you listened to your gut.....