Thursday, November 6, 2008

Extra Quick

I'm sure you've been in the position to need a polite, but snappy, comeback line. I know I have. I'm really great at them too.....about 20 minutes after the event. They're really not too effective that much later though.

I admire the people who can nicely put an end to the direction a conversation is going. Like I said, I'm not too great at doing it when I need to. Later, yes. At the time, no. I think it's partly my non-confrontational manner, and partly that I'm so stunned by what's said that I can't think on my feet. When I do succeed, I'm so stunned that I have to fight the urges to simultaneously look stunned and smirk.

How 'bout you? Are you good with comebacks? What's your favorite one you've ever heard?

4 comments:

kim-d said...

Oh yeah. I can be really good with the comebacks; it's what makes me such a popular person. BWAHAHAHA! The thing is, what I say is usually NOTHING compared to what I'm thinking, but I've lived long enough to know that it is not necessary for me to treat everyone to my every opinion.

In recent years, I find myself saying the snappy comebacks less and less. The things that come out of other people's mouths is so...so...unworthy of my snappy comebacks. Those people wouldn't get it anyway! :)

Anonymous said...

Me? I'm extra slow. If you think up something 20 minutes later, you're 40 minutes ahead of me. Unlike our children, eh?

Alice said...

Yeah, I'm a little slow on the uptake. And SO Non-confrontational. However, I think I can do it in writing...but if you need a snappy comeback I have always found that "YOUR MAMA!" works quite nicely. :)

Jeannie said...

I never have good comebacks when I need them. Lino does, though. Usually his are very funny.