Tuesday, January 22, 2008

An Extra Tree Hugger in the World

There's an extra tree hugger in the world. She's four years old, and she's rather out-spoken about her beliefs!


Linus loves trees. She thinks they are a gift from God to us and that we should take care of them and enjoy them. I don't disagree, but I'm not as vocal about it as she is.


Everytime she sees trees being cut down, she expresses her disappointment. She's furious with Target because they cut down acres and acres of trees so that they can build a new store. She was so sad when they began clearing the land. "Bye trees." and "Mommy, all the pretty is gone from the area since they cut the trees down."



Our subdivision has some natural tree growth, but not in the front of any of the houses, and they are mainly only in easement areas. Each house has one tree in the front yard, but they were planted when the subdivision was developed, so the ones on our street are only 3 or so years old. We've planted a new tree to satisfy her, but she's made it clear that when we purchase a new house, we better get one with trees. Lots of trees!



Today as we were driving down the street, Linus noticed a guy getting ready to cut a tree down. She started in immediately: "Mommy, if I could have any dream, it would be that no trees are cut down. I don't understand why people cut them down. They are pretty. People shouldn't get rid of them. That's just not a good idea. They should let them grow and be pretty. That makes me sad."



One of these days she's going to realize that a tree has to be cut down for us to have a Christmas tree. I guess we'll have to get a fake one!

3 comments:

kim-d said...

I'm with Linus. 100%. The only exception is if the tree is might and might fall on your house. But even if that happens, you should stand in your front yard while it's being cut down and feel really, really sad. That's what I did. In case I haven't told you lately, I love your girl. And that she loves trees doesn't surprise me a bit. If possible, it just makes me love her more. And you, too. Just not as much as her. Hehehehe...

kim-d said...

Make that *if the tree is DISEASED*
Great typing...

Leia H said...

Way to go Linus! Tell her that I have a "green" daughter too - we bought cloth grocery bags tonight so we can stop using "those yucky plastic bags" :)