Thursday, January 17, 2008

Extra Extra Extra Embarrassed

I'm a part of a great organization that volunteers our time and services mainly through Children's Hospital. I'm proud to be a part of this organization because we truly do make a difference in lives of children (and their parents too).

I was asked to mentor one of the new members. Unfortunately I wasn't able to chat with her much before the meeting. When the meeting ended, we made some small talk to get to know each other better. She has a new baby, so we spent some time discussing working out of the home after children are born. I mentioned that I think it is truly a very personal thing. I believe some people make very good stay-at-home mothers, and I believe some people are better mothers for working. Take my sister and me for example. I stay home. I know I absolutely do not have it together enough to work a full time job outside the home, keep my home tidy and clean, feed my family, and make time for Linus. My sister, on the other hand, is able to do all of that and work full time. She loves her children more than imaginable, yet she'd go nuts at home full time. I don't go nuts (most of the time, at least). She's better suited for working; I'm better suited staying at home.

Anyway, the person I'm mentoring and I were discussing returning to work. She's recently returned, but she's giving herself a few months to decide whether or not being a working parent is for her. I was telling her that the year Linus was born, I'd managed to convince my principal that she needed me part time, not full time. Thankfully, she was able to work such a situation out. It ended up that I was very sick the first part of the year, and Linus was born the second part of the school year. Our principal retired during that year, and a new principal replaced her. When contract time came, I was offered a full time position because he was not able to budget my part time position.

I was explaining the situation of full time vs part time to the lady. Unfortunately, that's not exactly what I announced (loudly). I said, "I decided to stay home because I really did not want to work full time. I wanted a fart time position, but he couldn't budget it." We don't even use that word in our house! I wanted to crawl under a table once I realized what I said. Here she is still professionally dressed from her work day, and I'm in jeans (as were other members, I wasn't under dressed) telling her I wanted to work fart time.

The worst part is I didn't even realize what I said until she got this funny look on her face. I'm just blabbing away. Ugh!

Unfortunately, that's not the first time I've embarrassed myself with such verbal stupidity. My other two were SO BAD though, that I won't even write them here. I guess I talk too quickly and my brain can't keep up with my mouth. Sad!

3 comments:

Jackietex said...

So funny! I think most of my family must work fart time. Lol!

kim-d said...

BWAHAHAHA--Lanny strikes again! And we wonder where Linus gets it! Hehehe. Actually, fart time can sometimes turn out to be pretty much full time, depending upon one's cuisine...I know, I know...DUDE, that's terrible!!! :)

Leia H said...

LMAO! That is priceless! Hey, at least she'll never forget you! ;)