Monday, January 21, 2008

An Extra Smoking PSA

Nobody in my family smokes cigarettes. My father used to enjoy a good pipe or cigar years ago, but he no longer does, and he certainly would not do it in front of his grandchildren. I actually don't have any big hang-ups with smoking. My grandmother smoked back in the day. I think many people who grew up when she did smoked.



Because Army and I don't smoke, Linus has had very little exposure it. I didn't realize until today just how little.



As we walked back to our car after running an errand, there was a smoker parked next to us who was also making her way to her car. If you're going to smoke, fine, that's your decision, but please don't blow it directly on me or my child. Apparently the smoker didn't feel this way. She blew her smoke right on Linus. I attempted to get Linus in the car as quickly as possible, but that wasn't before she let the smoker have it in a very innocent manner.



With a look of total disgust on her face, Linus said, "EWWW! What IS that smell? That's awful. Something stinks in the air. It's so bad, I think something's wrong with the air. That's just stinky. What could smell that bad, Mommy? Ewww, it's just gross!"



How did the lovely smoker respond? The witch tossed her cigarette at us. Classy, I tell ya!



*To be fair, most smokers around here go out of their way to keep smoke away from non-smokers. On more than one occasion, I've had smokers cross the street so that Linus wasn't exposed to the smoke. I'm very thankful for people who are so considerate. It's the ones with sticks up their hineys that make me want to stick a cigarette up there too!

2 comments:

Mama said...

Way to go Linus! You would have thought that it would have been a humbling experience to hear this honest comment from a child. :( Maybe someday common courtesy will rub off on this woman.
Natalie
Fellow IAC alumn

Leia H said...

OMG that is hilarious! Delphina saw a smoker outside of Wal-Mart last summer and loudly said, "Mom why is that guy smoking? That's really yucky and will make him and us all sick. I don't like that smell at all...." I just smiled and walked on in. Made me proud! ;)