Monday, January 19, 2009

So Maybe She's A Little Off

Linus greeted me first thing this morning with "Happy Martin Luther King Day, Mommy!" Naturally, I returned the greeting. A little while later, she said it again. I asked her who Martin Luther King was, and she said, "He's the one who made the poor little old lady get up because he didn't want to sit in the back of the bus. He made the little old lady, Rosa Parks, get up from her comfy seat because there was a sign that said, 'Blacks must sit in the back.' and besides, Mommy, doesn't he know there are no black people. Why don't grown-ups know their colors? She was brown. And old. And that's not nice. Not one bit."

As I tried to explain to Linus that she kind of got her story mixed up, she became more determined. "No, Mama, he made her sit in the back. He took her seat. But he was doing a good thing. A really good thing. (Pause) How's it a good think to make an old lady get up from her seat?"

Again, I tried to explain who MLK was and who Rosa Parks was. "But Mrs. ___ said so. I. I. I know she did. (beginning to whine) I heard her. I was paying attention."

She finally let me explain, and she listened well.

I thought.

During dinner, her daddy asked her who Martin Luther King was. Anybody want to guess who made a little old lady get up from her seat on the bus so he could have it?

We'll be working on this one!

4 comments:

Doreen said...

LOL! Kids are too funny. You know, at least she's giving the subject some thought. And it'll be something fun to remember when she gets older! :o)

Alice said...

How cute. At least it's a start!

katy said...

I think that she listened, but all of those facts get messed up in a little head. The simple fact that she remembered what most kids probably forgot instantly makes me think she will be the top of her class.

Leeann said...

ROFL! These are the moments that I love blogging. You both would have forgotten this moment but now you will both have it to look forward to.

Utter cuteness!