Sunday, January 4, 2009

An Extra Lesson in Words

Linus and I were playing a game in the car one day while we waited for Army to run an errand. She'd describe an animal, and I'd have to guess what it was. Once I figured it out, I'd describe and she'd guess. She constantly picked animals on the more rare end of the spectrum (not dog, cat, fish, etc). After several rounds (and at this point, I'm struggling to think of animals, yet she's got an arsenal saved up for future use), Army comes back to the car. He heard my description (alligator--brownish/greyish but lots of times colored green in pictures, four legs, tail, likes the water) and knew what it was. Linus heard it and said, "Is it a pollywog?"

Seriously?

First of all, that wasn't even on the radar for me. Second, HUH? Her vocabulary is completely different than mine!

5 comments:

Leia H said...

WTH IS a pollywog???

Lanny said...

It's a tadpole. And we call them tadpoles. I hope she doesn't do this to her teachers!

Alice said...

Oh my god. I love anyone with a broad vocabulary. Little children especially!!

Leeann said...

I love her brain!

katy said...

She should write books when she gets older. Think of the broad spectrum of ideas she would have.