Thursday, November 8, 2007

An Extra Conversation or Two

*****Warning! Foul Language***** (Kiddie conversation)

I'm at Linus's preschool a lot, and happily fill in where needed. I was asked to sub in one of the Mother's Day Out classes today, so I filled in for a little while. I absolutely fell in love with this class. Oh my goodness, those kiddos are so sweet and so adorable! They were 18-24 months old and just so much fun.

At one point, one of the cuties got my attention and said, "No f***ing!"

I looked at him with a very confused look on my face, and said, "Could you tell me again?" Again, he said, "No f***ing!"

Um, ok, hmmmm, let's see. I finally asked him if he could show me what he was talking about one word at a time. After those words came out my mouth, I started to wonder if I really wanted him to show me! Thankfully, he was able to show me. He turned over a truck and said, "No. F***. In"

Ahhh, the truck wasn't supposed to go in somewhere. Phew! Linus mispronounced some words, but truck was never one of them. I've heard of many children messing up that particular word, but I was totally unprepared for it today.

Let me preface this next one with this child's mother really is a good mother! One of the two year olds usually brings milk for lunch. His Mom's Morning Out teacher asked him if his milk was good. His response? "Well, actually I'm drinking a virgin screwdriver." Whoa, back up! What? He went on to say, "My virgin screwdriver is orange juice and pineapple juice." Yes, I heard it with my own two ears...and I laughed my hiney off!

Later in the day, Linus and I were on our way home from a little get together. I was praising her for her fabulous behavior today, and she admitted one little glitch.

Let me back up a little to give you an idea of where this came from. On Halloween, Linus and the other children at the preschool were allowed to dress in non-scary costumes. As you know, Linus dressed as Minnie Mouse. Gee, ya think that had anything to do with our recent trip? ;) Anyway, as we walked in to school that morning, the director and another teacher were setting up a pumpkin patch for the children. One of them said to the other, "Oh look! There's Minnie Mouse!" Linus, as completely serious as could be, shook her hand and said, "Oh no, it's me, Linus. This is just a Minnie Mouse costume. I'm just dressed up, but it's still Linus!" It was absolutely hysterical. Word got around about what she said, so many of the teachers (who I am friends with) asked her if she was Minnie Mouse. Well, Linus eventually decided she wanted to change her name to Minnie Mouse. Permanently. Today her teacher called her Linus, and she asked her teacher to call her Minnie Mouse. To understand the rest, you need to know that Linus's given name is a three syllable name. When she asked her teacher to call her Minnie Mouse, her teacher said that it was too long. When Linus related the story to me, she said, "Really Mommy! Min-nie Mouse. ___-___-___!" comparing the three syllables in each. Then she added, "They are the same length!" Thank goodness she didn't actually give her teacher a lesson in syllables!

1 comment:

kim-d said...

Okay...the syllables? That's incredible! I still sometimes have problems with how many syllables and I was GOOD at all things English, for pete's sake! I'll bet her teachers are CONSTANTLY having to hide smiles behind their hands. All I can say is this...within a year or two, everybody who talks to this child had better be sure to have their ducks in a row because she's gonna know if they don't! I am sure there will NEVER be any "pulling one over" on her :)! What a kid!

And the little boy with the truck? As a young teen, I babysat exclusively for one family with three children. I loved those kids so much and David, the youngest, was especially sweet-natured and wonderful. Imagine my surprise when that same thing came out of his little mouth one day while playing. I figured it out, but being as I was only 14, I got him to say it a few more times before we started working on "say TRRRR-uck" :)!!!!