Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Extra Strange

Army and I had to go to a government agency yesterday. We had a three hour wait, and we had to have Lolly with us. I thought it would be difficult, but Lolly was amazingly good. She took a little nap in my arms, and when she was awake, she was content to look around or play with us.

When she was sleeping, we couldn't help but hear a conversation between two guys. Guy #1 did the bulk of the talking. He talked about "mounting" women. He also told his friend that it is "much better to be rode than to ride." As he's talking about 'mounting' and 'riding' ladies females, he mentions one person who 'rode me good' and then turns to his friend, Guy #2, and says, "I don't see your cousin any more. You know what she's up to?" HELLO?? Don't talk to me about what you do with my cousin. Ever. A few minutes later he mentioned a controlled substance and how much he hated it. Another guy there (not Guy #2) asked him if he had anymore and how much he'd sell it for.

Once we were called up, we were sitting close enough to another couple to hear one of them lose her temper. She dropped just about every curse word I know. She pitched a fit better than any child I know can do. Really, did she think cursing the lady behind the window out was going to make her do something she had already said multiple times couldn't be done?

What has our society come to that this has become acceptable? I'm in my 30s and I can guarantee you my mother would still chew me out if I acted like that. Not that I ever would...

5 comments:

Bayou Belle said...

What did you do go to the food stamps office or something? I went there once . . . just once! Scary people jammed into that waiting room! Real scary . . .

kim-d said...

My word, Lanny, where WERE you? And WHY??? I hope you at least gave all of those morons the stink eye! All I can say is, it's a good thing you didn't have Linus with you...you and Army would have had lots of 'splaining to do on the way home! Or maybe she would have straightened the whole lot of them out!

Don't you just sometimes wonder what barn some of these people were born in? And wish that they would go back. I'm thinking that the scary people from Bayou Belle's food stamp office are the same people that are shopping in my grocery store on Saturday night. Whole (huge) families of very, very scary people. Traveling in packs. I don't shop on Saturdays anymore!

I'm glad Lolly was a good girl, though. I would still like to know what Lolly looks like. Just sayin'...

Leia H said...

LOL at kim-d - I love the term 'stink eye'!! :)

Well, I think you can rest assured that YOUR girls will never speak like that! Parenting and the environment your kids grow up in make such an impact...there's a kid in Dee's Kindergarten class that drops the 'F bomb' daily! She won't repeat it ever, because she knows it's a very naughty and inappropriate word. But it upsets her to hear it...you do what you can as a parent and hope your child takes the higher road. :)

And I grocery shop after 8:30PM because of my work schedule - and I shop at Wal-Mart, because that's all we have here. So, I frequently hear things I don't want to hear, especially from parents toting kids around :(

joanne said...

Isn't it sad? My mom, God Bless her, would have backhanded me right then and there...OMG who are these people? and who let them out? Just sick...

Debbie said...

I also would have gotten back handed by my Mom!

Seems a lot of parents in this generation just didn't have the time or energy to bother with such "simple" things. Good grief!

Each day I'm consistently shocked at people's behavior. I just shake my head. Never thought of giving them the "stink-eye" LOL