Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Customer Service

I used to think my grandmother was uptight when it came to customer service. I remember her complaining about what CS had turned into in the last few years of her life. Then I started spending my own money, the money I worked for, and I started to see things differently.

I don't expect somebody to cater to my every whim by any means. In fact, I can't stand it when a salesperson hovers while I'm shopping. On the other hand, I cannot stand it when I practically have to beg to have somebody ring me up so I can pay for what I want to purchase. Basically, all I ask is a simple acknowledgement when I walk in the door ("Hi, let me know if there's anything I can help you with.") or something equally simple. It irritates me no end when I walk into a store and the people working there are too busy chatting to ever acknowledge my presence, even when I'm at the counter, products in hand, waiting to pay. It also annoys me when a store worker is taking a clearly personal cell phone call. I couldn't care less if they are talking on their cell (or even business phone) while I'm shopping, but if I want to give you my money, please don't make me wait while you gossip with your friend. There is a shop near my old house that I never intend to step foot in again because they never ever stop talking with each other. I've seen more than one person just leave their items on the counter and leave, and I've seen the ladies there never say a word to the customer beyond the total while ringing them up. I find that rude and poor customer service.

I've always wondered how some of these stores stay in business. Today I realized I am part of that equation. While I intend to never shop at that store near my old house, I do shop at a similar store near my new one. It's a little boutiquey store that has fabulous children's items. I've come across one worker there who was decent, the others are ridiculous, including the owner (who once was surprised that I was looking for an outfit for a baby girl because I looked like the mother of a boy---wth???). They rarely stick to their posted hours, they are not willing to help (and when you are ordering a monogrammed item it's kind of necessary to actually speak with them!), and they do not like children in their (children's) store. I don't like their customer service at all, yet I keep going back. Why? Because they have adorable things that I can't find anywhere else. Because it's close to my house. Because I love their stuff, damn it! So it occurred to me today that if the product is what people want, customer service really doesn't matter. Every single time I go there, I leave saying to myself that I'll never return, yet I do. Time and again. Clearly they've got me with their products, and sales are what you need to remain in business.

So, what customer service things make it or break it for you? If a store has something you want/need, will you keep going back despite poor cs?

4 comments:

kim-d said...

Hey you...I am so sorry to have been so absent lately. I could not find my own @$$ with both hands and a road map! Forgive, please?

I loved this post--loved it. I've gotta tell you about SuperTarget yesterday. I'd just finished buying $700 worth of glasses because I'm old and need bifocals now, and have to pay extra so the lenses aren't coke bottles, too. But that's not the point. After the glasses, I needed to purchase a couple of items from the regular store. I got in the line that had only one person at the register being checked out, another Target employee with maybe five items. She and the cashier were talking about work hours, etc. And it went on and on...while I stood there, with my four items. Just waiting for them to finish.

When I finally got up there, the cashier looked at me and said, "I can't find anybody to work my hours for me cause they're 8-4:30 and nobody wants to work that long." No hi, no how are you, no nothing like that. So, when things like this happen, and when you encounter treatment like at your children's boutique? I figure all bets are off and I don't have to be nice either.

I looked her right in the eye and said, "I'll work for you. Any hours you want to get rid of, I'll work...because I'm losing my job and need a new one anyway. So I'll just take yours!" BWAHAHAHA! Really! It sort of flabbergasted her into silence. I hope it made her think, if even for just a minute. And assuming she is capable. Know what I mean, Jellybean?

The bottom line is, I know you're a much nicer person than I am and wouldn't say the kind of stuff that I say, but I just figure if you're not going to afford me the basic social graces that you're being PAID to give, then I won't either. Since you love the stuff your store sells, then definitely keep buying things there. Why cut off your nose to spite your face. BUT...if it was me, I would not give their sales people the time of day!

It's a different world out there, isn't it?

Alice said...

Since my background is PR in the food industry...I can tell you I absolutely abhor poor customer service. And while some people will go back--a lot will not. I saw restaurants close for no other reason than managment didn't make the employees treat the customer with respect. YOU ARE SELLING A SERVICE. Even if it is a product, people have picked your store, to buy something they can probably get somewhere else (God love the internet)...so DO YOUR JOB!!!

Whew...sorry bout that. I get a little hot under the collar with poor customer service. I am one of the ones who will not go back.

Mike said...

Nope, I will even pay a little more or drive a little farther to get the service. There are times I walk into a store and are asked if I need any help. Nine times out of ten the answer is no. But they asked which is important.

And with online shopping more prevalant, customer service is needs to be more apparent with these stores we actually go to...

Jeannie said...

I loathe poor customer service, also. I have no problem at all writing a complaint email, too.(I have some saved in my email folder...) In turn, I will also be sure to write about fantastic customer service.

I worked in retail for 12+ years, and I always, always, tried to give the best customer service possible. This one time, I was an assistant manager at a children's specialty toy store, in a pretty well to do area. It was a Saturday, the sotre was having a great day, we were all having fun. I was ringing at the cash registers helping an older woman: greeted her, made comments about the things she bought, told her her total and cashed her out. She then complained to my manager that I had offended her and was rude because I told her the total of the purchase. !?!

How else was I to let her know how much she owed? I was floored. I wasn't anything but nice to her...

About Kim's Target experience, I love that! We usually never get spoken to at the registers when we are there. Last night the cashier said hello (before we evne had our things on the counter), she was pleasant AND said Thank you as we finished! Sad that simple courtesy is rare....