Monday, September 10, 2007

Extra Vocabulary

My sister called Saturday night to tell me what her oldest daughter (2.5) said. My sister and her husband are good, as opposed to Army and me who have been known to let a word fly every now and then. We truly try to watch our language, but when you drop an entire bottle of liquid medicine on the floor, and the sticky mess immediately takes up home in the spaces between the wood planks in your floor, well "damn!" just may slip out. My sis and her hubby are better at being cautious, or so I though. When she called, she said, "I know you think we're saints, but you won't believe what Big A said. She's said it a few times throughout the day, but it wasn't until a second ago that it was quite obvious that she was saying, 'Oh man! Damn it!" I laughed hysterically. The thought of her daughter doing it was hilarious especially since my daughter hasn't exactly said it yet. Linus slipped one a year ago or so, but she said "Minute" instead. We're such bad parents that our dog's full name involves the word minute. I know, go ahead and nominate us for parent of the year! Anyway, I've giggled to myself a few times since my conversation with my sister.


Then it happened.

This morning, Linus ripped a big "damn it" because she couldn't have what she wanted for breakfast.


Shhhh. Don't tell my sister. I sure haven't!

4 comments:

katy said...

Oh, don't you hate that. I can remember being so upset when my kids learned to sound out the words we spelled.

kim-d said...

Awww, I know this is terrible of me, but I'll bet it was kind of cute when she said it. I know, I know--it's just those little voices are so funny when something "unlikely" slips out--HA! Wait til she's 15 and TRYING to shock you! And, in my opinion, you and Army ARE Parents of the Year; it's good to show her real life!

Leeann said...

My daughter let her first one fly when she was around three and a half. The good news is that she didn't say it again for years. And I was secretly pleased that she used it appropriately in a sentence!
Leeann

Ann Marie said...

I found my way to you through Kim-d... but here is a joke for you.

A 4 year old and 6 year old were in their room one night and the 6 year old told the 4 year old.

"I think it is time we start cussing."

The 4 year old nodded his head in agreement.

The 6 year old then says.

"Tomorrow at breakfast I will say something with hell in it you say something with ass in it."

The 4 year old nodded in an excited agreement.

The next morning both little boys toddle their sleepy selves down stairs for breakfast.

Mom looks at the 6 year old and asks

"what would you like for breakfast?"

The 6 year old nodding at the 4 year old replies

"Ahh Hell mom I think I will have Cheerios."

The mother slapped him out of the chair, kicked him square in the butt and continued swatting at him all the way up the stairs to his room, threw him in the bedroom and scream.

"YOU STAY IN THERE UNTIL I TELL YOU TO COME OUT!!!"

Angered the mom comes back down stairs in a huff looks at the 4 year old and rather meanly asks.

"And just what would YOU like young man??"

The 4 year old looks up at his mother with a slightly scared look on his face and stammers

"I I I I I am not sure mom but you can bet your fat ass I am not saying Cheerios! "