Monday, September 3, 2007

Extra Foot? Insert in Mouth

I was talking with friends recently about foot-in-mouth situations. I have two distinct ones, though I'm pretty certain I have others that I'm choosing to forget. Believe it or not, neither of these two were part of my most embarrassing moments list from a week or so ago.

The first time I remember inserting my foot in my mouth was in high school. I was taking to a guy I had a crush on. I knew he had a really cool car, I had seen it! We were standing on a balcony one morning before school watching cars go by. As one car pulled in, I commented that I hated that type of car, and I could never date somebody who drove one. Yes, I know that was shallow, but I was in high school. I looked back at him, and I knew immediately I had said the wrong thing. Did I just shut up? Oh, but no. I looked at him and said, "Oh come on, I've seen your car. I know you don't drive one of those. They are the ugliest things I've ever seen, and I know you wouldn't buy one." He looked at me and said, "Nope, you're right. I wouldn't buy one." I wondered why he stressed the word buy, but I still didn't get it. In fact, I didn't get it until he walked away and another friend walked up to me and asked what the heck I had just said (she saw his face before he walked off). I told her, and she immediately let me know what an idiot I was. Nope, he wouldn't buy one because he already had one. Ugh! He usually drove his "cool" car to school, but he had his deceased grandfather's old car too. The same car I had just belittled. I felt SO bad. He's a really good guy though. To this day, he still gives me a huge hug every time I see him. In fact, in a round about way, he's partly responsible for my engagement ring. :)

My other time was recently. Linus was really the one that did the foot sticking, but it was my fault. Her whole life, I've been telling her "no touching" when we go to public restrooms. We've walked into more than one stall and turned around and walked out because the seat was filthy. We went to visit one of my good friends from college recently. Linus really had to go to the potty, but the only potty that wasn't occupied in her house was in the master bedroom. She walked us back there, and was still in there as Linus took a look at the seat, panicked and announced that she could not use such a dirty potty. It wasn't dirty at all, but the paint was chipped on the seat. Thankfully she has three children and was completely used to kids saying things like that. I felt so badly though!

1 comment:

kim-d said...

Oh, I am SO glad I'm not the only one who says stuff like that! But then again, I can get myself in a bunch of trouble based just on my tone!

Once again, though, Linus bats one right out of the park! HAHAHA! Nothing that comes out of a child's mouth surprises me and that is especially true when it comes to your girl! Ya just gotta laugh!