Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Picking Up Linus

Every afternoon, I'm treated to the best show. It all starts when I put Lolly in her carseat. The tears begin to fall, but they are immediately replaced with a smile as soon as I utter, "Let's go get Sissy." She babbles on for most of the ride to get Linus. We usually have to wait a few minutes before they dismiss, so Lolly looks at the clouds and carries on one-sided conversations with them. Sometimes, if I'm lucky, she'll even sing to the clouds. After dismissal, but before carpool line begins moving, Lolly will begin to fuss just a bit. It's as though she's saying, "Where's my Linus? Let her out! I'm ready for her." As soon as we begin moving, Lolly begins squealing with delight. As we pull up to the loading area, Lolly becomes quiet. She waits in great anticipation for her sister. The second the car door opens, Lolly's head turns quickly and she gets the biggest smile on her face. As Linus climbs into the car, Lolly's smile grows even more, and she begins kicking her feet. As soon as Linus is buckled in, she turns to Lolly. Day in and day out they have the same conversation:

Linus: Hi there. Did you have a good day?
Lolly: Aaaaaa
Linus: AAAAAA yourself
Lolly: AAAAAAAAA
Linus: AAAAAAACCCCKKKK!
Lolly: AAAAAAA AAAAAAA AAAA AAA

Then Linus begins making silly faces and Lolly giggles. That makes Linus giggle as she continues to make silly faces. Lolly's laughter eventually graduates to a belly laugh. Their eyes never leave each other.

Every single day this exact scene occurs, and every single day it makes me smile. It never gets old. :)

11 comments:

Mama said...

That made me tear up. :)
Natalie

joanne said...

that is so precious. I remember calling my daughter 'sissy' to her older brother. good times.

I miss you Lanny...stop by sometime j)

Leeann said...

That is so incredibly sweet. I love seeing a relationship grow and develop between siblings.

Leia H said...

That is the most adorable thing :) It's so nice to have sisters that are just so in love :)

Jeannie said...

What an awesome story.

katy said...

One day you will be glad you wrote this down. Simple things seem to slip your mind after a few years.

Mike said...

Sister who have that kind of bond are great. My two daughters were just like that. The youngest thought the sun and the moon set on her. Now as a teenager she knows better, but they are still great friends, who look out for each other.

Anonymous said...

What Katy said. Except in my case, it slipped my mind within weeks.

Overflowing Brain said...

The cuteness is almost painful Lanny.

Just so sweet. (And be sure and tell Lolly this someday. Because honestly, I'm not sure my sister ever liked me and I would sure love to hear stories like that one from my mother)

kim-d said...

OMG, Lanny. I'm really, really glad I waited until today to read this because if I would have read it any sooner, I wouldn't finish crying until tomorrow!

I love that Linus is Lolly's "Sissy." That is what both of my uncles called my Mom (she was 6 and 9 years older than them), usually when they were trying to get her to do something for them! :) I think it's sweet and loving, and makes me want a Sissy even more than I always have, which is a lot.

That you get to see this every day? Incredible! That would be my biggest reason to wake up every morning. Bless their little hearts...

Thanks for being such a good friend to me, Lanny. You are the absolute best. You know what I'm talkin' about...

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.