Monday, March 16, 2009

Extra Crafty

Spring Break began for Linus today. I had planned "Camp Spring Break" for around our house to keep her occupied, but today was rainy, so we went through more than I expected. We've got tons of outside activities and toys, but until the weather clears up, we're stuck with indoor things. We are members of a great science center, so that's on the list, but things like the zoo won't work in the rain.

We're doing portraits tomorrow, and that should take a few hours of our time. I'll likely come home from that in need of a very stiff drink (why, yes, we did have a photographer tell us that our child was the most camera happy child she'd ever seen, but please find another photographer because she couldn't keep up with her). Stiff, people, very stiff. Recipes welcome! Funny side story, that photographer has pics of Linus on the wall because, yes, she is in fact camera happy. You're shocked. I can tell.

I'm not against down time at all, but Linus is definitely a child that needs planned activities too. This is the child who told me no more ballet lessons because she had to stay too still. She loves gymnastics. Imagine that.

So far, we're making:
*a kite
*soap
*another bulletin board for her room (possibly)
*ice cream the old fashioned way once we finish reading Farmer Boy (Little House on the Prairie series)
*we may do another butterfly garden, but that's not exactly time consuming
*chalk (possibly--she has tons, but I think making some would be fun too)
*a mirror for her bathroom--I'm letting her bling it all up!

So, all you crafty and not-so-crafty people out there, I need some more ideas. What were some of your favorite things to do with your children or when you were a child?

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bake cookies. Of course it has to be a cookie you like. If you do some sort of cookie that you can make into shapes, that'll take up more time. (I'm thinking like PlayDough type, not cookie cutter.)

Lanny said...

We made cookies today, but I can assure you, I'm always up for making more. We didn't make shapes with the ones today, so that's the excuse I'll use for making more. We need to make shapes, you know?!?

Leia H said...

Some of my favorite childhood memories involve my grandmother and I making bread and cinnamon rolls from scratch in her kitchen, with the morning sun coming in the main window...

My Gran and I used to paint ceramics together (she had a kiln) and it was SO much fun, even though I could never pain inside the 'lines'. :)

Lanny said...

Ohh, thanks Leia! Our pottery store has take home kits that you send back for them to put in the kiln. I loved painting pottery as a child. Speaking of which, I'm doing Easter eggs each year with my girls k-12. I'll put them on an egg plate and watch their progress. I hope it turns out as cute as I imagine it in my head. Maybe I can do her egg this week.

Jeannie said...

How do you make chalk? You could make homemade playdoh. I used to love (and the girls got for christmas) those weaving loom things with the loops? The loom was a square and you stretched loops across in one direction, then weave the other direction....

Shrinky dinks (Santa also brought some blank shrinky dink paper)

Pipe cleaner and fabric flowers,

Daisy, Just Daisy said...

We made stationary growing up. Mom bought a package of blank cards & envelopes & then filled tupperware bowls with warm water, dish soap and food coloring. You hold the paper over the bowl & use a straw to blow huge bubbles. The bubbles have the food coloring in them & they pop on the paper in pretty patterns. Abstract but very fun! Then she can write little notes in the future on them.

Debbie said...

I got him involved in lots of sports so I could sit back in a chair, watch, hug, and tell him how proud of him I was LOL!

Lots and lots of friggin LEGO's :)

joanne said...

my kids used to love making collages...cutting up magazines, using old phots, etc. That and stationary. Baking like Monkling said...with shapes/designs. Sidewalk paint/chalk. Doing each others hair and nails would take up a morning or afternoon.

That's all for now but if I think of something else, or less messy, i'll be back.

Mike said...

When they were young is was kitchen time and lots of baking. As they got older it turned into shopping time with dad. I've been to more dress shops that you can shake a stick at...

Alice said...

God, I don't know. I'm just working on gestating one right now...I'm coming here for ADVICE. :) I do think pottery is a good idea...either at home or at one of those places...does she like to dress up?? Could you work on a talent show with costumes and props to have for daddy one night? How about a tea-party for the teddy bears --she gets to bake cookies, muffins, etc and then dress up?? Ohhhh...and spa day (is she too young for that??) at home! I tend to be a little girly on these things...but I love the ideas you're getting so far..I'm anxious to see what else you get!

Alice said...

Just saw the date of when you posted...I guess spring break is winding down...but maybe you can let us know which of these worked out well for you!