Saturday, May 31, 2008

Extra Local

Nola had a post a few weeks ago that made me think about words or phrases that are only used locally.  I commented that I was shocked to learn that "K&B Purple" was not universally understood. 
There are several others that I've found to be only local words and phrases.  When I moved here, I was unmercifully teased about saying, "I've got to stop at the grocery."  Apparently people expect to hear the word store immediately following grocery, but where I grew up we just left it at grocery.  Another one is the term sno-ball when referring to a shaved ice treat.  Around here they say snow cone.  I'd never heard anything other than sno-ball growing up (unless referring to Hansen's).  
We also said "bobo" (as opposed to booboo).  I've since learned it's the French influence that makes bobo common back "home."  And while we're on the subject of French influence, I'll mention the amazing difference in pronunciation of words where I grew up and where I live now. Wow!  

How 'bout "Give me some sugar."  I didn't realize that one wasn't universal until earlier this year.   I actually still think it is, and people around here just don't know what it means! :)

Alligator pear.  Do other people really not call avocados alligator pears?  Really, the term makes perfect sense to me!

I called a "median" a "neutral ground" for years after we moved here, and for years I got the strangest looks.  

I eat poboys, not hoagies or any other term that's used!  That opens up a whole new topic: food!  I didn't know grillades weren't universally prepared.  I'm not a fan of them, but I assumed grits and grillades went together everywhere.  And gumbo? Here they mix chicken, pork and seafood in the same gumbo.  NEVER was that done in my family.  Maybe I should stay off the food topic, 'cause I could go on and on about how French bread just isn't the same anywhere outside the area where I grew up.  I could also go off on muffalatas.  A real one does not contain mayonnaise or tomatoes.   One more about food: it appears the term "dressed" isn't universal either.  I got the most disgusted look when I used that term for the first time here.  

When we were looking at houses, we looked in a subdivision here that is supposed to be modeled after some homes where I grew up.  I commented that I'd rather a camelback than a shotgun, and the guy who claimed he was from my hometown had NO idea what I was talking about.  I knew by his fake accent that he wasn't really from there, but his lack of knowledge confirmed it.  I guarantee anybody who lives in there knows those terms.   Really though, I did not know they aren't used by all.

Break tag--no idea that wasn't the term for an inspection sticker everywhere.  Actually, I'd never heard the term inspection sticker until I moved.  

Nobody here knows the term "go cup" either.  It seems kind of obvious to me.

I'm constantly finding other words and phrases that are not used where I live now.  Of course, there are words/phrases that are local to where I now live that I'm leaning too.  

What words/phrases are common where you live but not elsewhere?  And for goodness sakes, if it doesn't sound like it's spelled, give me a pronunciation guide or I'll ask you to pronounce Tchoupitoulas!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Isn't it funny that we took this for granted as being used everywhere? Another is "locker" for "closet"--I guess houses didn't have closets and instead had furniture pieces--chifferobes and lockers, that when closets became the norm, we called them lockers. My sis still uses that term!

I don't say "making groceries" but I do say grocery without store like you! No idea that was local.

The "dressed" just cracks me up. When in a restaurant and a waiter asks a tourist if she wants her sandwich dressed, oh the looks I see!

And banquette for sidewalk.

We should start a list. Probably out there on the internet somewhere.

Love this post!

eddie said...

Well, coming from England, the differences were just quite over-whelming. Nothing, however, beats watching my first NFL game back home, I believe in 1989, and hearing the commentator mention that one of the players "tapped the QB on the fanny". I was stunned - "Players in the NFL have vaginas?" And so my Americanization began . . .

kim-d said...

Chop-a-tool-es??? Hayl, I don't know!!! But I don't know 99% of what you said! But I'd be more than happy to go with, and we can stop for a pop and a sub on the way. Doncha know? Yah! Is it cold enough fer ya? On and on. Yeah, we're hicks. I wanna know what all that stuff you were talking about is. And I hate going to Cub (the name of the grocery store). This is almost as fun as the organization one!

Lanny said...

Nola, we should start a dictionary for our blogs!

Eddie, LMAO! I had to work hard to keep my drink IN my mouth when I read your comment!

Kim, IT'S A COKE no matter what you're drinking! Never ever ever a pop! Never!

Anonymous said...

The only pop I know is currently in Vegas with his wife & brother. Lanny, you make me pronounce Tchoupitoulas & I'll make you pronounce my long, Italian last name.

kim-d said...

What if it's a beer? Is that a Coke too? BWAHAHAHAHA...now would you please do a glossary post telling me what all those things are that you mentioned? Please?

Daisy, Just Daisy said...

My family is from all over the South & while I grew up everywhere terms like "to go cup", "shotgun", "sno-ball" and brake tag were the the common slang. Not to mention "grocery" as a verb. I'm in Chicago and I use "ya'll" all the time much to some chagrin!! I'm willing to bet I'd find both your accent & daughter adorable in "real life"

Daisy, Just Daisy said...

Oh! And I forgot! Recently I was out and ordered a po-boy "dressed" and the waiter thought I had gone stark raving mad. Everyone at the table giggled while I explained. It didn't taste quite as good as I had hoped. Sigh. A combo srhimp & oyster po-boy is my slice of heaven. Dressed of course.

Debbie said...

I always the grocery store and now you have me thinking. That's the ONLY time I say store. I don't say Lowe's store or Borders store LOL

Oh, and I get "dressed" after my shower!!!!! That one really surprised me!

Good post!!