Friday, May 23, 2008

An Extra Confession

I am a nerd. A big ole nerdy nerd. 

How sad!

My nerdiness became quite apparent the other day.  There is a big, nationally televised sporting event practically in the backyard of our new house.  I can hear the announcer from my back deck, it's that close.  Unfortunately, since it's such a big event, the traffic in the area has increased exponentially (trying for the nerdy words) over the past few days.  To offset this increase, our city has stationed several police officers in the area to direct traffic.  Keep in mind directing traffic in our area simply means manually doing the traffic lights.  

Army and I had to go to the new house Wednesday night.  Without thinking, we went in the main entrance to our subdivision.  As we came over a hill, we were met by a police officer who was standing about 300 feet from the traffic light.  Army had to come to a complete stop because he was standing in our lane.  He walked up to the car and filled his chest with air, tilted his SUNglasses down a bit on his nose so he could look over them (it was dusk, no need for sunglasses!), and in his crisp white short sleeve cotton shirt, polyester blue shorts that were pulled up to his bellybutton, tennis shoes, and socks pulled up to just below his knees (lovely image, huh?) said, "Son, where do you think you are going?"  Army told him we were planning to take a right at the traffic light because our home was off that street.  Mr. Police Officer rolled his eyes (!) and said, "IF you planned to turn at that street, you needed to have your turn signal on before you came over that hill. Do you think I can read minds? I need to know your intentions, that why we have rules, Son."  Army simply said, "Yes sir" and rolled his window up as quickly as he possibly could, mainly because he knows I, in all of my nerdiness, know traffic rules like nobody's business. He was scared to death I'd say something and get him a ticket.  Normally, I am as NONconfrontational as they come, but throw in a little PMS and I get a mighty attitude.  As soon as he got that window rolled up, I said, "Yeah, of course you should because we are certainly 100 feet from our intended turn. Good gracious, I stink at measurement, but even I know we're waaayyyy more than 100 feet. We're a stinking football field away from the turn."  And I really was ticked  As in fuming ticked. I was vicious that he'd expect us to know that he'd be there from the other side of a hill and know to put the signal on THREE TIMES before the law says you have to.  So ticked, in fact, that I came home and googled it to make sure I was right. I was.  Don't get me wrong, we have an awesome police force, and I have the utmost respect for people in law enforcement, people who put their lives on the line everyday for our safety, but what I canNOT stand is abuse of power.  Ever.  And this guy, in my PMSy mind, was doing just that.  

The next day I told the story to my mom.  The instant I heard it coming out my mouth, I realized just how absurd I had been. Really? What does it really matter? It doesn't. Humor the guy and put the dang signal on.  

So after lunch yesterday a friend brought up something silly she did when she was PMSing. I laughed and told her my story.  Then her husband's good friend, who is a police officer, said, "Oh, that sounds like Officer Friendly. Let me see if he was on duty, 'cause I bet he was. The guy is constantly getting in trouble for stuff like that.  You know, our force is so tight that he'll likely get kicked off soon.  One time he made an old lady cry because she didn't know where her lug lock key was when he was called to help her change a flat. He told her she didn't belong on the road if she couldn't be a responsible citizen."

With that, I began to wonder if I had really been that pathetic with my rant after all. About a nanosecond later, I realized that yes, I was just as pathetic as I originally thought.  

Wish me luck. This sporting event goes through the weekend, so I'm sure I'll encounter Officer Friendly many more times.  I sure hope I don't run over his foot or anything.  Not that it will matter though 'cause I'll have my signal on from 300 feet back. 


3 comments:

kim-d said...

Ohhhhhh...what's with that "Son" stuff? What, did he think he was fresh of the "In The Heat of The Night" set? Talk about a stereotype come to life, huh? The thing that surprised me was that he turned out to be a real police officer; I was thinking rent-a-cop...BWAHAHAHA!

And now, after Grey's last night, I sure hope you're still speaking to me! That's what I get for making a smart-aleck comment, huh? HAHAHA!

kim-d said...

P.S Did you guys move to Indianapolis? I'm thinkin' it MUST be the Indy 500 that's in your backyard?

More BWAHA'ing...

Leeann said...

Officer Friendly? Man, that is just the WRONG name for him!

Leeann