Monday, May 19, 2008

Extra Info

Let me start of by admitting I'm a big ole hypocrite.  I honestly thought the preschool graduation would be silly, but seeing my baby up there changed everything.  I'm still not sure it's necessary, but it is absolutely fun!

Since we were parents of a graduate, we had to get there early with her.  We walked her to one of the classrooms, and we were promptly kicked out.  They wouldn't let parents help with the cap and gown or anything.  That can be an itty bitty bit of a problem for any parent who just might be slightly on the control freak side.  I made it though.  

Army went down to get us a seat (and he got PERFECT seats) while I hung back to talk with a few of the teachers she had in MDO.  Her class is very unusual in that most have been together since MDO started. We hang out together, and we truly like each other.  

Once we were all seated, one of the teachers began passing out Kleenex.  For those of you who don't know, I HATE crying in front of other people. Hate it!  Many people took several Kleenexes.  Then the lady behind me (whose daughter's entire first and middle names are ONE letter off from my child's name--yeah, the teachers loved that!) said she didn't need any, she wasn't a crier.  Thanks lady, up the ante for me not to cry!  I took one Kleenex so I'd have it if I really needed it, but I didn't look like a blubbering idiot to her. Army immediately leaned over and said, "It's ok Lanny, you can close your eyes and just watch the video when we get home."  

They marched in--and SCORE!--Linus was seated directly in front of us!  She was smiling ear to ear.  We all stood and said the Pledge of Allegiance which was lead by the graduates.  My mom has always loved that I used to say "roll call" at the end because when I was little my teachers would say that and begin to call roll. I just assumed it came right after.  I got a great giggle when a two year old in the audience screamed, "AMEN!" at the end! :)  

Then the kids sang the sweetest song.  You could hear the sniffles from all around. Not me though. I had my iron will on and refused to let my eyes do more than sting as I held those tears back.  It wasn't just the song and that my child was graduating, it was that Linus put her heart and soul into that song. She sang with all her might.  While most of the children's lips barely moved, there was a trio standing together who led the whole thing. Linus was in the middle of that trio! :)  

Then they handed out diplomas.  Ok, not that is kind of laugh-worthy.  Really? What is the preschool course of study that it states they've completed?  I guess it is a sweet reminder of the times possibly.  As the director read the names, she'd tell what each child wants to be when they grow up.  This class was really heavy on the dentists.  Add in the requisite teacher/dancer/princess/artist/cowboy and that rounds out the rest. Except Linus. She wanted to be a fire fighter.  Most parents commented that they were surprised by their child's answer. Not us, we pegged Linus long ago.  

After the diplomas they played a song for the children to walk out to.  As the kids faced the aisle and waited their turns, Linus and one of the other trio couldn't help themselves. The music had a good beat, and they couldn't let that go ignored. Those bounced like there was no tomorrow.  I had just commented to Army how pleased I was that she behaved so well during the whole ceremony, then she singled herself out with her dancing. But you know what? I LOVED IT! Dancing IS Linus, how could I expect her to stand still? 

We took her to the restaurant of her choice afterwards, and she ordered entirely on her own (I'd like a lemonade, grilled cheese, and a side of soup, please). Sniff sniff.  My baby is growing up.

6 comments:

Leeann said...

I always resist crying too, as I hate to cry in front of others. Unfortunately, my kids' stuff gets me almost every time.

Anonymous said...

Been right there exactly. Felt the same way you did before but when I was there (yeah, I can still remember it even though my guys are both in their 20s now) - whole different thing.

Leia H said...

CONGRATULATIONS LINUS!!! And way to go for making it through the ceremony Lanny! :) Love the dancing - such a happy critter you have. :)

katy said...

I have a major crying problem. I cry even when I am not sad. Little house on the Prairie makes me cry every day and I have seen every episode 5 times. I don't boo hoo loud blubbery cry, I just tear up and can't quit.

Anonymous said...

So glad you enjoyed it! Congrats, Linus!!

Alice said...

Awwwwww.....