Saturday, December 29, 2007

Some Extra Embarrassing Moments

Christmas was great! I'll write more about it later. I've been busy getting things together for the new year. Army and I are likely going to be making some big changes in our lives (nothing bad!), I'm attempting to return to meal planning once again, I've got a few prizes for y'all (oh, I don't know, something super-sonic, and something deen-a-licious among other things).

Friends and family enjoyed retelling some of my embarrassing moments over the holidays, so I'll leave you with a few tame ones for now. Generally, I weigh my words carefully in an effort to not hurt other people's feelings, but when I'm not worried about that, I tend to spew ridiculously embarrassing junk without thought. In high school, I was voted "Most Likely to be an Astronaut" because of my space cadet tendencies. When you combine those two personality flaws, you get lots of embarrassing moments!


The first two I'm responsible for:

Where I used to live, there is a deli with a drive thru. I drove up and placed my order (which was what I always got, so I didn't look at the menu), then drove up to the window to get my order. This particular place put a paper copy of the menu in the pick up window, so I glanced at it after I paid but while I was still waiting for my food and change. I noticed they had 8" subs. When the guy came back to give me my food, like a total moron, I said, "Wow! You've got an 8 inch? Most people only have 6 inches!" Everyone within earshot erupted in laughter, and I had no clue what I said wrong.

I went to a doctor's office. I knew he was Jewish (Army is friends with him, that's how I knew). As he's leaving the room, he said, "Peace be with you." I'm Catholic, and at mass we respond to that with "and also with you." Since he is Jewish, I had no idea what to say, so I just kind of smiled and let out a nervous giggle. A minute later his nurse came in and said, "Hi, I'm Denise." He had said "Denise'll be with you" but he had slurred it, so it sounded like Peace be with you. Thank God I didn't say, "and also with you!"

And one courtesy of my aunt:
After my sister's wedding and reception we went out to get a bite for dinner. We were discussing what time it was where my sister was honeymooning. My aunt pipes up with, "Well, it's an 8 hour flight, so they must be 8 hours behind us. It's probably about noon there right now."

3 comments:

kim-d said...

I love space cadets! My daughter-in-law is one, my youngest cousin is one--her name is Stacy, but she also answers to Spacey. There is nothing better, in my book, than a good space cadet. Makes for lots of good-natured laughing...which, as you know, I apparently do way too much of!!! HAHAHA!

And I was also so happy to see your update; now you've got me so very curious. I hope everything that will be changing is good...possibly you'll be taking steps to make me your official sister? HA...really, I'm sure the whole rest of your family would like me, and having TWO sisters would make me really, really happy. Does that sound too pathetic and needy? HAHAHA!

How's "our" girl doing? Did she love Christmas? I can't even tell you how much I've missed you...when you get a minute, drop me an e-mail or IM...I've always got AIM on, so...sometimes I see you're on, too, but I know you're usually working on something, so I don't wanna interrupt. BUT, if YOU send the first IM to ME, then I know I'm not bugging you. Seriously, if you want me to stop leaving these novel-like comments, you'll either e-mail or IM...

Have a wonderful New Year's Eve...

kim-d said...

So, how's 2008 treatin' ya so far? Hehehe.

Leia H said...

Ok, now I really want to know what you are up to....is it something I may know about??? Do tell!!!!!

I seriously had 2 LOL moments there, and 1 very blonde moment, where I had to think about it and read it 3 times....tis my life!