Sunday, December 23, 2007

Care For an Extra Meal Tonight?

For years, y.e.a.r.s, I've made fun of my sister's dog's habit of dining on Christmas ornaments. Hallie (the dog, not my sister) has eaten them all her life. They don't even call their vet anymore when she does it. It's that bad. I've made fun of the fortune my sister's family spends on ornaments that just end up satisfying her dog's sweet? glass? not-sure-what-to-call-it-tooth. One year my sister put candy canes on the tree. Seriously? Why do that when you know your dog craves tree decorations? Sugar won't cure that ill!

I've never understood why they didn't put an end to it though. My sis has a degree in chemical engineering, she's got to have some sense. The dog keeps up her habit though. None of the dogs I've ever had would do such things. Ever.

Now I have to eat my words (but not ornaments!). Tonight Army and I were talking, and I noticed our dog doing the GI crawl. We have a golden retriever, and she has an ample hiney, so it's not like she was really sneaking up on anything. She noticed me looking at her, so she stopped moving and eyed her ball-ball. Army and I went back to talking, and the dog starts the GI crawl again. I looked at her again and tried to figure out what she was doing. Army called her name, and she froze in place. We looked around, but couldn't find anything that she might be 'hunting' like a duck that belongs to Linus or a napkin, etc. We started talking again, and she resumed her GI crawl. The further she got, the higher her ample bum got. At this point, Army and I were rather intrigued. We simply could not figure out what she was after. As we'd stop talking, she'd notice she had an audience, so she'd stop moving. We'd talk again, and she'd crawl again. We finally decided she was just being a silly dog and kept talking. Then it happened. BAM! She lurched for the tree. Have you ever seen a 70 something pound dog sneak up on then attack a tree? Not pretty! The poor tree put up a good fight. So did the ornaments.

Me? I'll be eating crow tomorrow. I have no doubt my sister will somehow find out, and she'll give me back all the harassing I've given her for the past seven years.

6 comments:

kim-d said...

HAHAHAHA...an ample hiney doing the GI crawl, huh? Where, oh where, Lanny, was your camera? So, did Puppy topple the tree or did it stay upright? I'm jealous of your sister. No, not because of her chemical engineering degree (although that is kind of cool); no, not because of her 2.5 yo little one (although that is cool, too); and, ummm...no, not because of her ornament-eating dog (which is not cool, and I don't understand how it doesn't hurt SOMETHING inside that dog!). The reason I'm jealous of her is because she gets to be your sister. Lucky her! Say hi to Army for me, and give Linus a squeeze, would ya? I'm getting all Christmas happy and sappy! :)

Leia H said...

OMGosh I'm laughing so hard!!!

kim-d said...

Lanny, Army, Linus~

HAVE A VERY, VERY MERRY CHRISTMAS!

Lanny said...

Nope, the tree survived the dog's attack. :) So did the ornaments. The dog nearly didn't. Just kidding. She was just put in the kitchen for a good while after that.

Leeann said...

Merry Christmas, dear one! I hope your day was fantabulOUS!

Looking forward to another fun year of reading your blog.

Leeann

kim-d said...

I miss you very much, Lanny. I hope you're just busy with after-holiday hub-bub; I didn't say anything wrong, did I? Hope not! :)